Four Walls, Two QuaranTeens and a Mom in Bogotá

The end of 2019 was difficult. On November 21, thousands of Bogotanos joined citizens in Latin America and around the world for months of protest marches and cacerolazos. We, along with  neighbors, students, friends, workers, colleagues and anyone who had a righteous demand, participated in these actions. There were many reasons to protest: government corruption, labor and pension reform, lack of government support for the peace process, violation of women´s rights, killings of social leaders, environmental degradation, the defunding of public education and more.

Despite many just causes and mostly peaceful protests, a few violent clashes with anti-riot police ended in a student´s death and many injured. Those who opposed the marches angrily complained their right to work and movement was limited by the protesters. But no one would have anticipated that four months later, millions of invisible coronavirus droplets would do more to portray those collective claims and paralyze the country than the most ingenious protester could have ever imagined.


So on December 31 we were more than happy to celebrate the end of 2019 and wish for peace, abundance, health, love and travels for 2020 with our traditional New Year rituals: wearing yellow underwear, eating 12 grapes at midnight while running around with a suitcase and dancing until dawn.  We were sure 2020 was going to be a great year: Micaela would graduate from high school, turn eighteen and begin college; Sara Luna would become a quinceañera and finish her last year of theater camp, and Mama had many professional and personal projects and travels to look forward to.

One month later, however, Mama received an unintended warning of how 2020 would really look like. Ignacio de la Rasilla, a Spanish colleague of hers who had recently moved to China for an international law professor position at the Wuhan University Law School, sent a collective email in which he informed us of how he was in quarantine with his family living through the “fast-paced spread of the deadly Wuhan coronavirus across China.” Wuhan University was shut down, he told us, and 256 people in China had died with another 12,000 reported ill. We felt very sorry for what Ignacio and the Chinese people were going through, but imagined it as a local problem, and that, as a very controlled society, the government could probably pull off a massive lockdown and contain the spread of the virus soon.

Indeed, as like most everyone else in Colombia, the possibility of a global pandemic never crossed our minds. So we continued life as normal and planned a special trip with George, a friend visiting from Germany, to travel to the Carnaval de Barranquilla. The Carnaval is a century-old celebration held every year in late February that gathers more than two million Colombians and foreigners for one of the biggest street parties on the continent. If there ever was a place that you should not go during a pandemic, it would have been the Carnaval. But there were still no reported cases in Colombia or any signs the virus was near so we traveled on a crowded airplane, stayed at Germán´s, our Mexican friend (a law professor at the Universidad del Norte); explored Barranquilla´s neighborhoods, restaurants and stores, danced closely together with thousands of strangers, watched the parades and enjoyed the music festivals.


We never imagined that would be our last family trip B.C. (Before Corona), enjoying activities that are impossible, illegal or unsafe to do today.  Tía June asked us to share a bit of our experience living as QuaranTeens with our Mom in Bogotá: so here it is.


The Quaranteen: MICAELA

There is no way that anyone could have predicted that any of this was going to happen. On March 10, I returned from a senior class retreat where we were not allowed to use our cellphones for ten days. While we were enjoying our isolation from the world, the first case of Covid-19 was reported in Colombia. By the time I came home, the world had changed forever, and I barely had time to catch up. I didn´t understand why my mom was so nervous about what was happening and why she anticipated we might have to stay home from school for a while. Sure enough, three days later the government ordered all schools in Colombia to close down.  I haven´t returned to my school since.

I never imagined my senior year would end like this. I remember friends complaining when schools were shut down that the government was exaggerating and making too big of a fuss over a mere cold. I was devastated when our principal told us that prom and graduation had been canceled. Much of this didn’t feel real at first because it happened so quickly and seemed like something out of a dystopian novel. When Bogotá´s trial quarantine was imposed it was supposed to last a couple of days, but it soon became a couple of weeks and now it´s been a couple of months.


Today is the 70th day I’ve been at home. I’ve gone out less than a handful of times because minors were prohibited to leave home until recently and we were told that we could transmit the virus to our parents or grandparents. We can go out now but only for two hours a week, with a parent, social-distancing and wearing a facemask.

It was a struggle getting used to virtual schooling since it is so different and much more draining than our regular classes. These should have been the best months of our school lives when we were supposed to be celebrating our final year. Instead, I´ve had more homework than ever, and the school year has been extended until late June. My prom would have been May 15.


It´s also incredibly difficult not to see my school friends in person, so I do a lot of face-timing, play online games with them, or plan virtual dates with my boyfriend. But nothing replaces physical contact and closeness. In a strange way, all my relationships have become long-distance. It feels just as far and distant to be face-timing with Alice in Cambridge or Juan-David in Bogotá.


It’s been so long since our forced isolation started, that somedays I feel like I´ve adjusted and quarantine is normal. Other days it feels like the end of the world is near. I try to stay positive though and take advantage of the time I wouldn’t have had B.C. After I finish my homework I spend time painting, reading, watching movies, baking or doing something fun with my sister. I´m trying to be patient and positive but I am often disappointed and exhausted. I get more headaches than usual and want to sleep more.  I am tired of being online all day but social media is the lifeline to my friends and what makes reclusion bearable.


As days went by and it became overwhelming to see that many people were suffering the economic consequences of the shut-down, I wanted to do something for those not as fortunate as me. I started volunteering with my mom and neighborhood friends who collect food and supplies for the homeless and other people struggling with the quarantine. We pack and hand out donations every Saturday morning on a street corner. The first Saturday 20 people came, then 40, then 60 and last weekend it was 150. It´s a bit scary sometimes because we are still under quarantine, but we have special permission to help those in need. The local police make sure everyone in line is social-distancing and we ask everyone to wear a facemask in order to receive a donation, or we give out ones to those who don´t have them.  I feel glad that I can help lighten the burden for a few families, but it is sad to see how bad the situation is to make so many people show up. On the other hand, I have learned how generous our neighbors are because despite the hard times, we receive more donations every week.


Even though I´m disappointed about my senior year and I miss my friends and past life, I´m very lucky that both my parents have a job and so far, no family or friends have gotten sick. But I still wish that all of this will be over soon so I can celebrate my high school graduation and be excited about my first year of college.


The QuaranTeen: SARA LUNA

I am a 14 year old in quarantine. Or maybe I should say I am a QuaranTeen. To be a teenager at this time is interesting to say the least. Not having a social life when you are very social like me is very hard. I like to hang out with my friends and talk about all sorts of things. To have that taken away all of a sudden is very difficult and sad.


I feel scared sometimes.  I have experienced something similar to a panic attack. Sometimes I cry and get very sad even though I am normally a happy person, but I know that is very minor compared to many around the world who are suffering emotionally or have mental illness.

Online school has been very difficult. Teachers are pushing us harder than ever, which is strange because there is a lot going on and you would have thought they would be easier on us, but they have made it harder. I´m worried about my grades and finishing the school year passing all my classes. That pressure to be evaluated is very stressful during this time.


I´m also an activist and a feminist and I Iike to share my opinion. I know there is a lot more domestic abuse now and it makes me upset that I can´t go out and protest. But thankfully we have social media and we can still express ourselves, communicate with friends and family.

Click the link below to access a TIK TOK made during quarantine:



No matter how difficult all of this is, I am very fortunate to have two homes and parents that each have a job. I know this is going to be long and hard, but I know we will get over it and get back to normal, if normal ever exists again.



In case we didn´t have enough contact with people traveling from abroad to Barranquilla´s Carnaval, immediately after our return to Bogotá, from February 25 to 28, I accompanied five of my law school students and their coaches as their academic advisor to the national rounds of the Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition. Three days of mooting, conferences, meals, greeting kisses, hugs and shaking many hands, including those of the foreign judges who traveled to Bogotá after judging national rounds in other countries. The evening that my students won the Poporo de Oro cup for the first place team both in the oral and written competitions, we hugged, kissed, shook more hands, took many pictures and celebrated in crowded restaurants and bars. That was the last time B.C.  I would be in closed environments, with many people, unaware of the concept of “social distancing.”


The week after the national Jessup, I was finalizing arrangements for our trip to Washington D.C. mid-April to compete in the international rounds. As I viewed news about the virus spreading around the United States, it dawned on me that we would be mooting, sharing meals and celebrating in closed hotel environments for an entire week with Jessup teams coming from a hundred countries. I called Bridget, a good friend in D.C. who travels constantly for work, to ask her thoughts about the situation. She advised against travel because the situation in Washington was rapidly deteriorating. After that call, I informed my students that going to the international rounds seemed extremely risky and I would be worrying too much about their health and mine to be a good adviser.  They thought I was exaggerating and said that they would travel to Washington “no matter what,” even if they had to swim to get there (!). That evening I received a new email from Ignacio in Wuhan, reminding us he had been quarantined for over 45 days while the virus spread to more than 80 countries with 106,500 new cases and 3,600 deaths. Ignacio advised us to be patient and cautious and to limit travels to the strictly necessary. The next day, on Friday, March 6, Colombia´s first Covid-19 case was reported.

Fortunately, I delayed the D.C. ticket´s purchase over the weekend because on Monday, March 9, our university rector (a former Minister of Health), Alejandro Gaviria, informed all faculty, students and staff of measures that seemed extreme at that moment because Los Andes was the first institution to do so. Gaviria cancelled all university events of any type or any size and all university-related trips for faculty, staff or students. He ordered anyone returning from abroad to place themselves in preventive isolation for 14 days before entering the university again. He also promoted social distancing, use of face masks, washing hands and ventilation of homes and offices and anticipated that we would probably go virtual to end the semester. These decisions obviously upended our Jessup team´s travel plans to Washington D.C and all my other academic events.  To say that my students and coaches were disappointed after preparing for a year for the biggest event of their academic lives, is an understatement.

But little did we know the trip to the twilight zone we now live in was just beginning on Wednesday March 11, the World Health Organization declared Covid-19 a pandemic. By Friday, our rector informed us that we had one week to prepare for online teaching, a methodology most professors had never used or rejected as a bad replacement for the classroom. On Sunday, March 15, the national government announced that all schools, public and private, had to shut down. Most children, like my daughters, never had the chance to take their school supplies home with them or say goodbye to their friends. And in the case of seniors, like Micaela, the long-awaited prom and graduation ceremonies and celebrations were cancelled. They would never return to school again. It was no consolation for her that this traumatic ending to school life was happening to seniors around the world.

On March 17, Claudia López, the recently inaugurated first female mayor of Bogotá, announced a quarantine drill that would run from March 20 to 23 for the city of 9 million inhabitants. The drill became “Mandatory Preventive Isolation” ordered by the government for the entire country from March 24 to April 13, extended until May 11 and again until May 31. From June 1 to June 31 we will be in “Preventive Isolation,” and in a “Sanitary Emergency” until August 31. All school and university students must continue studying virtually until August.

During the first month of quarantine, we tried to see the bright side of things: the city´s silence, the lessening of pollution, catching up on sleep (when not fighting anxious insomnia), preparing meals together and watching movies. The restrictions for leaving home were very severe: only one adult from each household could go out to get food, while children under 18 and adults over 60 were prohibited from doing so. That meant Micaela and Sara Luna could not go out at all from March 20 to May 11, and only for a few hours a week since then.


During the first days, I was the only person wearing a facemask to enter the food market (it became mandatory only until May 11).  I urged others to wear them and paid a local seamstress to make facemasks from any leftover scraps of cloth that she had at home. I distributed them to my family, local grocery store workers and anyone I would see on the street who didn´t have one. Having lived in silent Helsinki for three years, I initially appreciated the lack of street noise, but the few times I ventured out to get food or cash to pay for deliveries, the empty streets felt unsafe and the silence was eerie. The desolation was full of millions of people´s anxiety about their health and economic future. A controversial later rule allowed women to go out and buy food on even days and men on odd days. Though the walk to the neighborhood market felt safer, the normally lively downtown streets emptiness continued to be depressing and scary.

Dealing with economic crisis while controlling the virus´ spread has been the Mayor´s biggest challenge.  López took strict measures early and gives daily reports in an informed and reassuring manner. Her leadership has been the reason that the capital has a lower infection and death rate than most large Latin American cities and the health system has not collapsed. Nevertheless, as the economic pressures increase, the national government has allowed more work exceptions and gradual opening of some businesses that comply with biosecurity standards, despite the inevitable spread of the virus and the risk of more deaths.


As an academic, I enjoy doing most of my research and writing at home, but the forced lockdown took that pleasure away and added the new stress of teaching online. My privilege felt anxious, because while I could work at home with a monthly salary it was obvious early on that many people would be losing their livelihoods. More than 60% of Colombians are self-employed and depend on variable contracts or on day-to-day income. There are close to 9,000 homeless people in Bogotá (40,000 nationwide) and a struggling middle class that employs more than half of Bogotá´s work force in small- and medium-sized businesses.

Though the national and Bogotá governments have tried to contain the economic distress, the measures will not be enough to go back to previous levels of what was already one of the most unequal countries in Latin America (hence the protests in 2019).  I, like many Colombians who have a salary, have been impacted by cuts and restrictions from our employers but we continue to donate at the national level and make efforts to support neighborhood businesses. Bogotá has a long tradition of bike deliveries, which has now become the norm. We send or receive everything (food, supplies, flowers, gifts, etc.) through these services. My biggest source for important news, social and political solidarity efforts, as well as foods and services has been through a WhatsApp list that was formed as a neighborhood initiative resulting from the 2019 marches and protests. Through that list I have found ways to support local restaurants, markets, and other services as well as to contribute to an outdoor food distribution for people in need and participate in a community compost garden.


Despite the constant anxiety and distress that this unprecedented catastrophe has caused, I continue to see the silver lining in my neighbors’ efforts to help each other, my friends and family support, and my students and daughters´ brave attempts to navigate these crazy times as best as possible.

Cuatro paredes, dos adolescentes y una mamá en cuarentenadas en Bogotá

Por Micaela Ortega Obregón, Sara Luna Ortega Obregón y Liliana Obregón

El final del 2019 fue difícil. El 21 de noviembre, miles de bogotanos se unieron a ciudadanos en América Latina y en todo el mundo durante meses de marchas de protesta y cacerolazos. Nosotras, junto con vecinos, estudiantes, amigos, trabajadores, colegas y cualquier persona que tuviera un justo reclamo, participamos en estas acciones. Había muchas razones para protestar: corrupción gubernamental, reforma laboral y pensional, falta de apoyo del gobierno para el proceso de paz, violación de los derechos de las mujeres, asesinatos de líderes sociales, degradación ambiental, desvalorización de la educación pública y más.

A pesar de muchas causas justas y protestas pacíficas, algunas protestas resultaron en enfrentamientos violentos con el ESMAD (la policía antidisturbios), terminando con la muerte de un estudiante y muchos heridos. Los opositores a las marchas se quejaban por la limitación de su derecho al trabajo y el movimiento impedido por los manifestantes. Pero nadie hubiera anticipado que cuatro meses después, las gotas invisibles de coronavirus harían más por evidenciar las desigualdades e injusticias y paralizar al país que el manifestante más ingenioso podría haber imaginado.


Por esto, el 31 de diciembre, estuvimos más que felices de celebrar el final de 2019 y desearnos paz, abundancia, salud, amor y viajes para el 2020 con el apoyo de nuestros rituales tradicionales de Año Nuevo: ropa interior amarilla, las 12 uvas para pedir deseos a la medianoche mientras corremos con una maleta por toda la casa y bailamos hasta el amanecer. Estábamos seguras que el 2020 iba a ser un gran año: Micaela se graduaría del colegio, cumpliría dieciocho años y comenzaría la universidad; Sara Luna se convertiría en una quinceañera y terminaría su último verano del campamento de teatro, y Mamá anticipaba disfrutar muchos proyectos y viajes profesionales y personales.

Sin embargo, un mes después, Mamá recibió una advertencia no intencionada de cómo sería realmente el 2020. Ignacio de la Rasilla, un colega español suyo quien se había mudado recientemente a China para un puesto de profesor de derecho internacional en la Universidad de Wuhan, envió un correo electrónico colectivo en el que nos informó de su vida en cuarentena mientras sufrían la “rápida propagación del mortal coronavirus de Wuhan”. La Universidad de Wuhan fue cerrada, nos dijo, y 256 personas en China habían muerto con otros 12,000 reportados enfermos. Sentimos mucha pena por lo que estaban pasando Ignacio y los chinos, pero lo imaginamos como un problema local, y que, como una sociedad muy controlada, el gobierno podría lograr contener la propagación del virus pronto.

De hecho, como la mayoría de los colombianos, la posibilidad de una pandemia global nunca se nos pasó por la cabeza. Así que continuamos la vida normalmente e incluso planeamos un viaje especial con George, un amigo que venía de Alemania, al Carnaval de Barranquilla. El Carnaval es una celebración centenaria que ocurre todos los años a fines de febrero y reúne a más de dos millones de colombianos y extranjeros para una de las fiestas callejeras más grandes del continente. Si había un lugar representativo a donde nadie debería ir durante una pandemia, sería el Carnaval. Pero todavía no había casos reportados ni signos que el virus estuviera cerca de Colombia, así que viajamos en un avión lleno, nos quedamos donde Germán, nuestro amigo mexicano (profesor de derecho en la Universidad del Norte); exploramos los barrios, restaurantes y tiendas de Barranquilla, bailamos junto a miles de desconocidos, vimos los desfiles y disfrutamos de los festivales de música al aire libre.


Nunca imaginamos que ir a Barranquilla sería nuestro último viaje familiar A. C. (Antes de Corona), y que disfrutaríamos de actividades que hoy son imposibles, ilegales o inseguras. Tía June nos pidió que compartiéramos un poco de nuestra experiencia de vivir en cuarentena con nuestra mamá en Bogotá: así que aquí está.


Adolescente en cuarentena: MICAELA

No hay forma que alguien predijera que esto iba a suceder. El 10 de marzo, regresé de un viaje del colegio de diez días en el cual se nos prohibió usar nuestros celulares durante el retiro. Mientras estábamos disfrutando del aislamiento del mundo, se registró el primer caso de Covid19 en Colombia. Cuando regresé a casa, el mundo había cambiado para siempre y apenas tuve tiempo de ponerme al día. No entendía por qué mi mamá estaba tan nerviosa por lo que estaba sucediendo y por qué anticipaba que tendríamos que quedarnos en casa por un tiempo. Efectivamente, tres días después, el gobierno ordenó el cierre de todas las escuelas y colegios en Colombia. No he vuelto a mi colegio desde entonces.

Nunca imaginé que mi último año de la secundaria terminaría así. Recuerdo que algunos amigos se quejaron cuando cerraron las escuelas porque pensaban que el gobierno estaba haciendo demasiado escándalo por un simple resfriado. También recuerdo la sensación de tristeza y devastación cuando el rector del colegio anunció la cancelación de nuestro “prom” y ceremonia de grado. Al comienzo no sentí que lo que estaba pasando era real porque sucedió muy rápido y los eventos parecían sacados de una novela distópica. Cuando se impuso el simulacro de cuarentena en Bogotá, se suponía que duraría un par de días, pero se convirtió en un par de semanas y ahora han pasado un par de meses. 


Hoy es el día 70 que he estado en casa. He salido pocas veces porque, hasta hace quince días, a los menores de 18 años se les prohibió salir y nos advirtieron que podíamos transmitir el virus a nuestros padres o abuelos. En el momento que escribo, podemos salir a por dos horas a la semana, con un adulto, practicando el distanciamiento social y usando tapabocas.

Fue una lucha acostumbrarse a las clases virtuales, ya que es muy diferente y mucho más agotador que nuestras clases regulares. Los últimos meses de nuestra vida escolar supuestamente iban a ser los mejores porque celebraríamos el fin de una etapa y el comienzo de otra. En cambio, he tenido más tareas que nunca, y el año escolar se ha extendido hasta finales de junio. Mi fiesta de grado (el “prom”) hubiera sido el 15 de mayo.


También es increíblemente difícil no ver a mis amigos en persona, así que paso el tiempo haciendo muchas visitas o juegos en línea o pensando en cómo encontrarnos virtualmente con mi novio. Pero nada reemplaza el contacto físico y la cercanía. Por eso, de una manera extraña, todas mis relaciones se han vuelto de larga distancia. Se siente tan lejano y distante estar “face-timing” con Alice en Cambridge o con Juan David en Bogotá.


Ha pasado tanto tiempo desde que comenzó nuestro aislamiento forzado, que algunos días siento que me he adaptado a la situación y que la vida de cuarentena es normal. Otros días parece que el fin del mundo está cerca. Sin embargo, trato de mantener una actitud positiva y aprovechar el tiempo que no habría tenido A.C. Después de terminar mis tareas, paso el tiempo pintando, leyendo, mirando películas, horneando o haciendo algo divertido con mi hermana. Estoy tratando de ser paciente y optimista, pero a menudo me deprimo y me siento agotada. Tengo más dolores de cabeza de lo habitual y a veces solo quiero dormir. Estoy cansado de estar en línea todo el día, pero las redes sociales son una conexión vital con mis amigos y lo que hace soportable la reclusión.


A medida que pasaban los días y se volvía abrumador ver que muchas personas sufrían las consecuencias económicas de la cuarentena, quería hacer algo por aquellos que no eran tan afortunados como yo. Le pedí a mi mamá si podía ayudar a los vecinos a distribuir alimentos y suministros para los habitantes de la calle y otras personas necesitadas. Todos los sábados empacamos y entregamos donaciones en una esquina. El primer sábado llegaron 20 personas, luego 40, después 60 y el pasado fin de semana fueron 150. A veces da un poco de miedo porque todavía estamos en cuarentena, pero tenemos un permiso especial para ayudar a los necesitados. La policía local vigila que todos hagamos distanciamiento social y pedimos a todos que usen tapabocas para recibir una donación, o se los damos a quienes no la tienen. Me alegra poder ayudar a aligerar la carga de unas pocas familias, pero es triste ver lo mal que está la situación en nuestro país para que aparezca tanta gente a recibir comida. Por otro parte, he aprendido que nuestros vecinos son muy generosos a pesar del momento tan difícil, y recibimos más donaciones cada semana.


Aunque estoy decepcionada por ver mi último año de colegio arruinado y extraño a mis amigos y a mi vida pasada, tengo mucha suerte que mis padres tengan trabajo y, hasta ahora, ningún familiar o amistad se haya enfermado. Pero lo que más deseo es que todo esto termine pronto para poder celebrar mi graduación de la escuela secundaria y comenzar con entusiasmo mi primer año de universidad.


Adolescente en cuarentena: SARA LUNA

Tengo 14 años y estoy en cuarentena. O tal vez debería decir que soy una “CuarenTeen”. Ser una adolescente en este momento es interesante por decir lo menos. No tener una vida social cuando eres muy social como yo es muy difícil. Me gusta salir con mis amigas y hablar sobre todo tipo de cosas. Que te quiten eso de repente es muy difícil y triste.


Hay días que tengo mucho miedo. He experimentado algo similar a un ataque de pánico. A veces lloro y me pongo muy triste, aunque normalmente soy una persona feliz. Sé que mi estado de ánimo no es importante en comparación con lo que están sufriendo muchas personas emocionalmente o quienes padecen de enfermedades mentales.

La escuela virtual ha sido muy difícil. Los profesores nos presionan más que nunca, lo cual es extraño porque están sucediendo muchas cosas y uno se hubiera imaginado que serían más compasivos, pero han hecho todo más complicado y estresante. Me preocupan mis notas y terminar el año escolar pasando todas mis clases. Esa presión por la calificación es muy angustiante durante este tiempo.


También me considero una activista feminista y me gusta compartir mi opinión. Sé que ahora hay muchos más abusos y violencia doméstica y me molesta que no pueda salir a protestar. Pero afortunadamente tenemos redes sociales y aún podemos expresarnos, y comunicarnos con amigos y familiares.

Para ver un TIK TOK creado por las autoras en cuarentena, haga clic en el siguiente enlace:



No importa cuán difícil sea todo esto, soy muy afortunada por tener dos hogares y que mi mama y mi papá tienen trabajo cada uno. Sé que el camino es largo y difícil, pero estoy segura que lo superaremos y volveremos a la normalidad, si es que la normalidad vuelve a existir.



En caso que no tuviéramos suficiente contacto con personas que viajaban desde el extranjero al Carnaval de Barranquilla, inmediatamente después de nuestro regreso a Bogotá, del 25 al 28 de febrero, acompañé a cinco de mis estudiantes de la facultad de derecho y sus entrenadoras, como asesora académica de las rondas nacionales de la competencia “Jessup International Law Moot Court”. Durante tres días asistimos a juicios simulados (“moot court”), conferencias, cenas y cocteles donde saludamos de beso, mano o abrazo a los otros participantes, incluyendo a los jueces extranjeros que viajaron a Bogotá después de haber juzgado las rondas nacionales de otros países. La noche en que mis alumnos ganaron la Copa “Poporo de Oro” por el primer puesto en la competencias oral y escrita, nos abrazamos, besamos, estrechamos más manos, tomamos muchas fotos y celebramos en restaurantes y bares llenos de gente. Esa sería la última vez antes de la llegada del virus en que estaría en un entorno cerrado, con muchas personas, sin saber que significa el concepto de “distanciamiento social”.


La semana después de las rondas nacionales del Jessup, estaba por finalizar los arreglos para nuestro viaje a Washington D.C. a mediados de abril para competir en las rondas internacionales. Mientras veía noticias sobre la propagación del virus en los Estados Unidos, de repente recordé que estaríamos compitiendo, compartiendo comidas y celebrando en los salones cerrados de un hotel durante una semana entera con equipos Jessup procedentes de un centenar de países. Llamé a Bridget, una amiga que vive en D.C. y viaja constantemente por razones de trabajo, para preguntarle qué pensaba de la situación. Me aconsejó no viajar porque la situación en Washington se estaba deteriorando rápidamente. Después de esa llamada, les comenté a mis alumnos que ir a las rondas internacionales me parecía extremadamente riesgoso y que si viajara estaría constantemente preocupada por la salud de ellos y la mía, y no sería una buena asesora. El equipo pensó que estaba exagerando y me dijeron que viajarían a Washington de cualquier manera, incluso si tuvieran que ir ¡nadando! Esa noche recibí un nuevo correo de Ignacio en Wuhan, recordándonos que había estado en cuarentena por más de 45 días, mientras que el virus se propagaba a más de 80 países con 106,500 nuevos casos y 3,600 muertes. Ignacio nos aconsejó ser muy cautelosos y limitar los viajes a lo estrictamente necesario. Al día siguiente, el viernes 6 de marzo, se reportó el primer caso de Covid-19 en Colombia.

Afortunadamente, retrasé la compra de los tiquetes de avión para D.C. durante el fin de semana porque el lunes 9 de marzo, nuestro rector (y ex Ministro de Salud), Alejandro Gaviria, informó a todos los profesores, estudiantes y personal administrativo de medidas que parecían extremas en ese momento porque Los Andes fue la primera institución en hacerlo. Gaviria canceló todos los eventos universitarios de cualquier tipo o tamaño y todos los viajes relacionados con la universidad para profesores, personal o estudiantes. Ordenó a quienes regresaran del exterior a ponerse en aislamiento preventivo durante 14 días antes de ingresar nuevamente a la universidad. También promovió el distanciamiento social, el uso de tapabocas, el lavado de manos y la ventilación de hogares y oficinas y anticipó que probablemente tendríamos que terminar el semestre enseñando de manera virtual. Estas decisiones obviamente pusieron fin al viaje a las rondas internacionales del Jessup en Washington D.C. y a todos mis otros eventos académicos. No sobra decir que mis alumnos y entrenadoras sintieron una gran decepción después de prepararse por un año para el evento más importante de sus vidas académicas.

Pero poco sabíamos que el viaje a la dimensión desconocida en la que ahora vivimos apenas estaba comenzando: el miércoles 11 de marzo, la Organización Mundial de la Salud declaró al Covid19 una pandemia. Para el viernes, nuestro rector informó que teníamos una semana para prepararnos para la enseñanza en línea, una metodología que la mayoría de los profesores nunca habíamos utilizado o rechazábamos como un mal reemplazo para el aula. El domingo 15 de marzo, el gobierno nacional anunció que todas las escuelas, públicas y privadas, debían cerrar. La mayoría de los niños, como mis hijas, nunca tuvieron la oportunidad de llevarse sus útiles escolares a casa o despedirse de sus amigos. Y en el caso de los estudiantes de ultimo año, como Micaela, se cancelaron las tan esperadas ceremonias y fiestas de graduación.  Nunca volverían a la escuela.  No fue un consuelo para ella que el final traumático de la vida escolar que estaba viviendo, lo estarían sufriendo millones de estudiantes en todo el mundo.

El 17 de marzo, Claudia López, la recién inaugurada primera mujer alcaldesa de Bogotá, anunció un simulacro de cuarentena que iría del 20 al 23 de marzo para la ciudad de 9 millones de habitantes. El simulacro se convirtió en un “Aislamiento Preventivo Obligatorio” ordenado por el gobierno nacional para todo el país del 24 de marzo al 13 de abril, que luego se extendió hasta el 11 de mayo y nuevamente hasta el 31 de mayo. A partir del 1 de junio toda Colombia entrará en una etapa de “Aislamiento Preventivo” hasta el 31 de junio, y de “Emergencia Sanitaria” hasta el 31 de agosto. Todos los alumnos de colegios y universidades deberán seguir estudiando en casa hasta agosto.

Durante el primer mes de cuarentena, tratamos de ver el lado positivo de las cosas: el silencio de la ciudad, la disminución de la contaminación, la recuperación del sueño (cuando no estamos luchando contra el insomnio), la preparación de comidas juntas y ver películas en familia. Las restricciones para salir de casa eran muy severas: solo un adulto de cada hogar podía ir a la calle a obtener comida, mientras que los menores de 18 años y mayores de 60 tenían prohibido hacerlo. Eso significó que Micaela y Sara Luna no pudieron salir del 20 de marzo al 11 de mayo, y solo por unas pocas horas a la semana desde entonces.


Durante los primeros días, era la única que llevaba tapabocas al mercado (solo desde el 11 de mayo es obligatorio). Al ver esta situación y para ayudar a una costurera local, mandé a hacer tapabocas de todos los retazos de telas que ella tuviera en casa con el fin de distribuirlos a mi familia, a personas que trabajaban en la tienda del barrio y a quien encontrara en la calle que no lo tuviera. Habiendo vivido en la silenciosa Helsinki durante tres años, inicialmente aprecié la falta de ruido de la calle, pero las pocas veces que salí a buscar comida o efectivo para pagar los domicilios, las calles vacías se sentían inseguras y el silencio era inquietante. Era como si la desolación de la ciudad estuviera colmada de la angustia de millones de personas preocupadas por su salud y su sobrevivencia. Una controvertida regla posterior permitió a las mujeres salir a comprar comida en días pares y a los hombres en días impares. Aunque la caminada al mercado del vecindario se sintió más segura bajo esa regla, la ausencia de la gente y el bullicio del centro de la ciudad donde vivimos seguía siendo deprimente y aterrador.

Hacer frente a la crisis económica mientras se controla la propagación del virus ha sido el mayor desafío de la alcaldesa. López tomó medidas estrictas temprano y ofrece reportes diarios de manera informada y tranquilizadora. Su liderazgo ha sido la razón por la cual la capital tiene una tasa de infección y mortalidad más baja que la mayoría de las grandes ciudades latinoamericanas y el sistema de salud no se ha derrumbado. Sin embargo, a medida que aumentan las presiones económicas, el gobierno nacional ha permitido más excepciones laborales y la apertura gradual de algunas empresas que cumplen con los estándares de bioseguridad, a pesar de la inevitable propagación del virus y el riesgo de más muertes.


Como académica, disfruto investigar y escribir desde casa, pero el aislamiento obligatorio me quitó ese placer y agregó el nuevo estrés de la enseñanza virtual. Mi privilegio se convirtió en un factor de angustia y culpa desde el comienzo de la cuarentena, porque mientras yo podía seguir trabajando en casa con un sueldo asegurado, sabía que muchas personas estaban por perder sus medios de sustento. Más del 60% de los colombianos trabajan por cuenta propia y dependen de contratos variables o de ingresos diarios. Hay cerca de 9,000 personas que viven en las calles de Bogotá (40,000 en todo el país) y una clase media que con grandes esfuerzos emplea a más de la mitad de la fuerza laboral de Bogotá en pequeñas y medianas empresas.

Aunque los gobiernos nacional y de Bogotá han tratado de contener la crisis económica, las medidas no serán suficientes para volver a los niveles anteriores de lo que de todos modos ya era uno de los países más desiguales de América Latina (de ahí las protestas en 2019). A mí, como a muchos colombianos que todavía tienen un sueldo, me han afectado los recortes y restricciones de nuestros empleadores, pero seguimos donando a nivel nacional y haciendo esfuerzos para apoyar a las pequeñas empresas del vecindario. Bogotá tiene una larga tradición de entrega de domicilios en bicicleta, que ahora se ha convertido en la norma. Enviamos o recibimos todo (alimentos, suministros, flores, regalos, etc.) a través de estos servicios. Mi mayor fuente de noticias importantes, esfuerzos de solidaridad social y política, así como alimentos y servicios ha sido a través de una lista de WhatsApp que se formó como una asamblea del vecindario resultado de las marchas y protestas de 2019. A través de esa lista, he encontrado formas de apoyar restaurantes locales, mercados y otros servicios, así como contribuir a una distribución de alimentos al aire libre para las personas necesitadas y participar en un jardín comunitario de compostaje.

jkljA pesar de la ansiedad y la angustia que ha causado esta catástrofe sin precedentes, sigo encontrando el lado positivo en los esfuerzos de mis vecinos por ayudarse mutuamente, el apoyo de mis amigos y familiares, y los valientes intentos de mis estudiantes y mis hijas por navegar estos tiempos imprevisibles de la mejor manera posible.

Micaela Ortega-Obregón was a freshman and sophomore at Cambridge Rindge and Latin School in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and is a senior at Colegio San Bartolomé de la Merced in Bogotá. She will begin her college studies in Design and Art at University of los Andes in the fall. 

Sara Luna Ortega-Obregón studied 6th and 7th grade at Amigos School in Cambridge and is currently a freshman at Colegio San Bartolomé de la Merced. She would have finished her last year of theater camp this summer at Tufts University´s Magic Circle.    

Liliana Obregón holds a doctoral (SJD) degree from Harvard Law School and was a Santo Domingo Visiting Scholar in 2016-2017. She is currently a law professor and director of the LLM program in international law at the University of Los Andes in Bogotá. She teaches at Harvard Summer School since 2015 (online for the first time this summer). 

Micaela Ortega-Obregón estudió los grados 9° y 10° en Cambridge Rindge and Latin School en Cambridge, Massachusetts, y actualmente está terminando el grado 11° (12° en EE.UU.) en el Colegio San Bartolomé de la Merced en Bogotá. En agosto comenzará sus estudios universitarios en diseño y arte en la Universidad de los Andes. 

Sara Luna Ortega-Obregón estudió 6° y 7° grado en la escuela Amigos de Cambridge y actualmente es estudiante de 8° (9° en EE. UU.) en el Colegio San Bartolomé de la Merced. Si no fuera por el coronavirus, Sara Luna habría terminado su último año de campamento de teatro este verano en el programa “Magic Circle” de la Universidad de Tufts.

Liliana Obregón obtuvo un doctorado (SJD) de la facultad de derecho de Harvard y fue Santo Domingo Visiting Scholar en DRCLAS durante el 2016-2017. Actualmente es profesora y directora del programa de maestría (LLM) en derecho internacional de la Universidad de Los Andes en Bogotá. También enseña en la escuela de verano de Harvard desde el 2015 (y de manera virtual por primera vez este año).


Related Articles

Broken Land: Climate Change and Migration in Guatemala

Broken Land: Climate Change and Migration in Guatemala

Broken LandClimate Change and Migration in Guatemala Santos Istazuy Pérez (right) sits in meditation during a group hike and workshop at a lush farm along with fellow Guatemalans and like-minded people from around the world including Germany and Uruguay. Photo by...

The Gift of Art

The Gift of Art

My dear friend, Colombian pioneer performance artist, Maria Evelia Marmolejo, (Cali, Colombia, 1958) whom I met during the research for the exhibition Radical Women: Latin…

Masks: A Luxury Item in Haiti

Masks: A Luxury Item in Haiti

English + Português
“Nurse Marie” tells her patients over and over again to keep their masks safe, clean, and sanitized. Masks are a luxury item in Haiti. “I always make it a priority here at the hospital…

Print Friendly, PDF & Email