The Endurance of Age

A Photoessay

by | May 23, 2021

Growing old in the hills of Nueva Esperanza, southeast of Lima, Peru,  has never been easy, even before the arrival of the Covid-19 pandemic. This settlement in the district of Villa María del Triunfo was established in a sandy area in the 1950s as a solution to the housing problem in lower-income sectors. Its name—which translates as New Hope— reflected a project: to build an industrial park on state-owned land. Attracted by this future, hundreds of tradesmen, welders, carpenters, and artisans—most of them Quechua-speaking—began to populate the land, especially in the 1990s. That promise of progress, however, was never fulfilled for them.

Paulina watches the city from her home // Paulina observa desde su casa la ciudad

A long time has passed since then. Today, much like the more than a thousand human settlements that exist in Lima, Nueva Esperanza is, above all, an enormous handful of houses of plywood and calamine spread from the slopes to the top of the hills, connected by dirt roads and stairways that the neighbors built together as a community. Here there is no sewage system, water comes in tanker trucks, and the poorest homes are still lit at night by candlelight.

It is there, in those hills, where several of the more than 700,000 older adults who live in poverty in the country live (survive). Peruvians who could be our fathers, mothers, grandfathers, grandmothers. Peruvians who we count as part of that “vulnerable population,” because they face the highest risk of illness and death in the days of the virus.

Their lives reflect what happens when society as a whole—the state, companies, citizens—does not take care of its elderly. Today, a year after the pandemic began in Peru and in the midst of the second wave of infections, six out of every ten of the 41,000 older adults living in Villa María del Triunfo do not receive a retirement pension and 31% do not have access to a single health system. For many, working years beyond retirement age is normal (40% of Lima’s elderly population still works), as is learning to live with chronic ailments, such as arthritis, hypertension, asthma, diabetes, tuberculosis, among other ailments that they cannot treat, because sometimes they do not have health insurance or cannot walk to a health post or because they only speak Quechua or live alone or do not have the money to see a doctor.

The Covid-19 pandemic—its strict quarantine, its very high mortality rate—has only deepened the cracks of precariousness in which they already lived. This is well known to the older adults of Nueva Esperanza, such as Paulina, Vicente, Lucila, Guillermo, Doris and Justiniano, whose experiences during the pandemic will be told here. Unlike other Peruvians their ages, they were somewhat lucky: They did not suffer nightmarish circumstances, with hospitals overflowing, they survived. During this year, the virus has killed 65,000 older adults, according to the National System of Deaths (Sinadef), 70% of the total coronavirus-related deaths.

They are the “at risk population” who were forced to make more sacrifices in their already difficult lives. Some did not receive financial aid from the government, and the little money they received from their relatives was cut off due to unemployment caused by the emergency. So they clung to the communal meals and the solidarity of their neighbors, and planted more potatoes and vegetables in their gardens, and every day they watched from the top of the hill, waiting. Not for the vaccine—which, according to the government, will come very soon for them—but the day when they will be able to go out and live their lives—what is left of their lives—as before.




67 years old

Paulina’s story is one of a community midwife who left Huancavelica with her children in search of better opportunities.  Paulina Peñaloza Campos faced off the pandemic and protected herself from the virus by quaranting herself with her children and grandchildren, while she missed “seeing the outside world.” As she had worked all her life in the fields and at home, she does not receive a retirement pension.

Paulina waters her small farm in front of her house with a bucket of water. // Paulina riega con un balde con agua su pequeña chacra que tiene frente a su casa.

To protect herself from the virus, she puts eucalyptus leaves inside her face mask. She trusts the healing power of plants. Whenever Paulina feels sick, she prepares a eucalyptus tea, a habit she maintains since the pandemic started, when her body and head suddenly began to ache. Perhaps that’s why she has never taken any pills nor has visited a hospital nor intends to do so. In her hometown Tayacaja, Huancavelica Region (“the last fold in the Andean puna,” as she describes it), there was no health center. “People used herbs to cure everything,” she says.

Like so many Quechua-speaking adults in Peru, she has always distrusted the frail public health system in the highlands where she grew up. “Maybe I could be cut to pieces by doctors,” Paulina says amid laughter. She belongs to a place where she has heard stories about indigenous women being forcibly sterilized during Fujimori’s regime (1990-2000). Possibly, she says, that’s why she became a midwife in Tayacaja.

Paulina has an excellent memory and recounts her childhood in detail. She remembers her parents and the ollucos, the mashua, the coca and quinoa her family grew. Drinking water was collected from springs under the bluest sky. But, then, she is also struck by the memories of “plagues” that hit her hometown. Among these, a cow-transmitted disease that killed her elderly parents. “Before, plagues mainly caused children’s death,” she warns, “unlike this virus that kills people like me.” Several of Paulina’s siblings died before she was born. She gave birth 14 times: seven survived, and seven died of various ailments. “Some died at birth, others while they were babies, or when they were toddlers,” Paulina says. “But such was life then.”

Only two daughters live in Huancavelica. The rest left for Lima, Peru’s capital, one by one, to work as house painters. Paulina was always aware of the great needs many people from her hometown suffered in the capital city. “Why are you going to Lima, if people don’t even have money to eat?”, she told her eldest son to dissuade him from leaving. “I cried, but he told me that he only wanted to make more money and left.” Only her last son convinced her to travel together to Lima. It was the first time Paulina traveled by car. She was 50 years old. At every turn Paulina thought she would die. Finally, she arrived to Lima, dizzy and with a headache.

It took her a while to get used to the city. “Every day I saw the massive number of cars. Are so many possible? What kind of place is this?”, she remembers thinking. “Dwelling on Lima’s mountains looked hollow and resembled birdhouses.” She now shares with two granddaughters a prefabricated wooden house with a tin roof. Three of her children live in neighboring houses. Since she has always plowed the field and worked at home, she doesn’t receive any retirement income. “My children support me,” she says, “and that’s why I’m alive.”

Before the pandemic, each one used to give her 50 soles a week (about US$ 13.50). With that, Paulina prepared lunch and maintained some independence. But due to lockdown, her two sons and son-in-law lost their jobs as house painters and construction workers and could only give her small amounts of money every now and then.

Paulina, along with the goat that her son gave her after her husband passed away. // Paulina, junto con a la cabra que su hijo le regalo luego que fallecio su esposo.

“One day, when I came home, I found mom crying,” says Eugenio, Paulina’s eldest son. She had run out of food a few days ago but had not said anything. Now, they all try to buy food together and share meals. For lunch, they prepare a rice and potato soup, and —when possible— they add beef or chicken. Her grandchildren visit to help her out with cleaning and cooking. Only one of Eugenio’s stepsons received a 760-soles assistance bonus. That was a short-lived relief.

Now Paulina sees her sons and grandchildren more often. She feels that they take care of her and that makes her feel better, although she longs for the outside world. “My children don’t want me to leave home. She can no longer meet with other people nor visit them or go anywhere, except a small nearby store. Not even the church nor the market,” she complains. Sometimes she entertains herself by feeding a goat that her son gave her after she became a widow.

“I was very sad, and he brought me the kid. I have raised the goat with bottles,” Paulina recalls. She still hasn’t named it. “My children bring corn husks, and, with that, I sit down to feed the goat. While it eats from my hand, I remember my hometown.”



75 years old

He was seven years old when his mother, before dying, left him in the care of a restaurant owner in Lima.  Vicente Vargas Valenzuela learned to read and write late; he was 15 years old when he first went to school. With much effort, he managed to buy a little plot of land in Villa María del Triunfo. In spite of his age, he continues to work because he doesn’t have insurance or a retirement pension. “I can’t be lazy. My bones would get rusty,” he says.

Vicente, helped kill a pig that will be sold in local markets // Vicente, ayudo a mata un chancho que sera vendido en los mercados locales

He doesn’t remember much about his childhood. Only that his father left before he was born and that his mother died of a serious illness. “That’s what I’ve been told,” says Vicente, also known as “Chavito” by his friends. Despite these experiences, he still has the smile of a mischievous kid and shrugs his shoulders whenever he talks about himself, as if he were bashful.

Vicente Vargas Valenzuela was born in Huaral’s higlands, in the northern part of Lima Region. Before dying, his mother left him with a restaurant owner in Surquillo District, in the capital city of Lima. Vicente was seven years old when he started working. He recalls that he was so small that he dropped the dishes and cried. But the restaurateur did not scold him. He was rather his “half-father, half-boss,” the person who gave him a home, food, and tips for his work.

He started attending school when he turned 15, and only finished first grade. Vicente already knew how to read “a bit,” but he was arrested for accompanying a friend who planned to rob his school, an incident he prefers not to remember. Once he left the police station, the school banned his return. “Due to this bad influence, I lost my opportunity,” Vicente admits. He then tried to start over; this time, working in the pig farm his “half-father, half-boss” had in Nueva Esperanza.

Eventually, the then-young Vicente was able to sell some pigs and, with that money, buy some land in those mountains. More than 30 years have passed since then. He never married nor had children. “Fortunately, because life is so expensive,” he says. He doesn’t receive a retirement pension, nor has a bank account, nor health insurance. Vicente has learned to live with the pain of an inguinal hernia, and he did not dare ask the doctor how much the operation would cost. Neither has he treated the varicose veins on his legs that hurt when he walks, nor his kidney ailments, although the doctor warned him that these could “explode.”

Despite everything, he continues to work. Every day he helps a friend feed his animals in a pigsty near his house in Nueva Esperanza. When garbage trucks arrive from Lima’s markets, Vicente classifies vegetables for personal consumption and those that are for pigs and cows. Amid flies and pungent odors, he fills 20 buckets of feed a day. He doesn’t earn a salary; rather, the pigsty’s owner provides him food and 20 soles (US$5) a week. Sometimes, he receives a pig as a gift. For Vicente, that’s better than nothing. “I need to do something, anything,” he says. “I cannot be a bum. My bones would rust.”

Vicente loads gallons of water to prepare the feeding of the pigs that he is in charge of // Vicente carga galones de agua para preparar la alimentacion de los chanchos que tiene a su cargo

A few months ago, Vicente got sick and stopped working for two weeks. His stomach and body hurt. His friend, the pigsty owner, took him to a hospital and paid for his recovery. He had a gastrointestinal infection and had to rest at home; his neighbors visited him and brought him soup. Once he recovered, he found out that a neighbor had gossiped that he had that disease and that no one should come near him. Vicente knew that others had died from coronavirus in the pigpens at the other side of the mountain, but he did not have any first-hand accounts of infected people. Neither he nor his neighbors had stopped working during the pandemic.

“Why should I be afraid of that virus?”, he says. “We’re all healthy here.” Vicente is not afraid of getting infected because he’s worried about another plague: swine disease. Worse than other years, it started impacting pigsties during the past few months. He saw how the eight piglets delivered by his only sow—one by one—, started dying. He had invested his covid-bonus to fatten these and sell them at a good price for Christmas. Instead, he had to burn their corpses at the dumpsite.

Nevertheless, Vicente feels grateful because he hasn’t lost his job during Peru’s COVID-19 crisis. Sometimes, at night, he sits outside his house to talk with neighbors, or he visits the soccer field. The daughters of a restaurant owner (his “half-sisters”) bring him fruit or encourage him to live with them. But Vicente prefers to keep and take care of what he considers his own: his land, his plywood house, his bed, and the chest of drawers where he keeps the pigs’ feed. Moreover, he has recently adopted a puppy he found among a heap of trash. “I will be here until God asks for me,” he says. “When he allows me to die, I will happily leave.”



80 years old 

Lucila Común Rivas has already survived a pandemic: she contracted polio in the late 1950s. Before Covid-19, she helped her daughter sell breakfasts, but the virus changed everything.  A few weeks before, she had been excluded from the Pension 65 program because the state considered that she did not live in a poverty-level home. This was based on the fact she had shared her electrical connection  with a neighbor and her electricity bill went up, disqualifying her. Today she faces the pandemic from the small rooms of her house, with her daugher, without going out.

Lucila in front of her house where she has been for the last year without going out due to the pandemic // Lucila frente a su casa donde ha estado el ultimo año sin salir debido a la pandemia

She is one of the hundreds of Peruvians who contracted polio before the vaccine was developed in the late 1950s. That disease left her with a disability at age nine, and she has since used a walking stick. Born into a family of farmers from Huancavelica Region, early on in childhood she learned the traditional art of spinning and weaving. “Mi mother taught me how to weave ponchos and clothing with patterns, designs, and the like,” she recalls. “I spun and sold these pieces to help out my family”.

Her abilities with textiles also helped her out when she raised, alone, her five children. She sold the clothing she wove or exchanged favors with her neighbors. “I would always help them out and, in turn, they would plant corn in our field,” Martha, her youngest daughter, remembers. At a very young age, she came to this part of Lima to work.

A decade ago, in Huancavelica, Lucila fell while walking in the rain and, since then, she has not been able to walk well. Without an ID card, like so many Quechua-speaking adults in Peru, she did not receive medical attention through the Integral Health System (SIS, or the acronym for this program in Spanish). So, her children relocated Lucila to Martha’s house in Nueva Esperanza, Lima, where they now live together and sleep in beds next to each other. “I worked only to support my mother,” says Martha, single and without children. She took the responsibility to take her mother to a private physical therapy center.

With her help, Lucila could also obtain her ID card in 2012, after several bureaucratic procedures that even required Martha to travel to Huancavelica to get her mother’s birth certificate. As a result, Martha could affiliate her mother to SIS, a timely decision because Lucila then suffered another accident: she fell from her bed and fractured the femur. She received a wheelchair and painkillers at the hospital where she was attended, but doctors stated that they could not do more due to her advanced age.

With her ID card, Lucila also affiliated to the Pension 65 Program (a bimonthly payment of 250 soles or US$ 66 for poor senior citizens), but only for a year and a half. Just before the pandemic struck, Lucila says, she was excluded from the program because the state considered that she did not live in a poor household. Martha had started sharing her electricity connection with a neighbor and because the electric bill increased sharply, the State disqualified her. For the same reason, Lucila has not been able to join Contigo, a new social program that provides retirement pensions to poor people with disabilities.

Lucila having lunch in her kitchen // Lucina almorzando en su cocina

During pre-pandemic times, Martha supported the household by selling breakfast on the avenue just below the mountain where they live. Fearing contagion, authorities prohibited this activity, and she stopped working during the first lockdown (March 16-June 30, 2020) and lived on her savings and ate at the soup kitchens. With the 760-soles bonus (or US$ 202), she could resist until the end of Covid-19’s first wave, but she had nevertheless depleted the capital for her breakfast business. She now earns a living cleaning a couple’s house in Surco District and receives S/ 240 a week (US$64), just enough to continue covering household expenses, even if that means seeing her mother much less.

Martha says that maybe that’s why Lucila has become “more depressed.” At times, she is cheerful, but “she has outbursts” and then turns silent.

In Nueva Esperanza there are no sidewalks nor paved roads, nor ramps for people with physical disabilities. Before the Covid-19 emergency, Lucila (who seldom uses her wheelchair) used to go to the grocery store at the corner using the strength of her arms to propel herself forward. If she had to go further, she would ask the neighborhood boys to help her get into a motorcycle cab. But with the arrival of the new coronavirus to Peru, Lucila’s world shrunk even more.

She could no longer go out during lockdown because of the risk of contagion. “She became sad,” Martha recalls. When she explained the situation to Lucila, “she cried because she did not understand.” She also stopped visiting the hospitals where she received the medicine to relieve her leg pain because she is aware that health centers are saturated by Covid patients and she’s afraid of getting sick.

Now Lucila spends her days between the house’s two rooms and garden, where she cooks with firewood and feeds her turkeys and laying hens. But, if she could run her own business, says Martha, things would be different. She could buy her mother those pills that strengthen memory and diminish pain. Above all, they would spend more time together, talking and weaving for hours, like they used to.



90 years old

The man who chews coca leaf and reads his fortune in the leaves, Guillermo Urbano Condori, is a survivor of the terrorist violence in Ayacucho. He came to Lima looking for peace and set up his home there. But the pandemic shattered his fragile domestic budget. His only income is the 380 soles he receives in pension for his work in the mines 60 years ago. Before Covid-19, his children were employed in informal work that they lost during the health crisis.

Guillermo observes the city with his son and daughter who have lost their jobs due to the economic paralysis in the pandemic // Guillermo observa la ciudad junto a su hijo e hija que han perdido sus trabajos por de la paralizacion economica a causa de la pandemia

As family tradition goes, Guillermo Urbano Condori starts his day reading his fortune with the coca leaves he retrieves from a pocket. Broken leaves, for example, are bad omens, and those that fall and show their brighter side foretell good luck. “Today things will go awry,” he laments to himself during a January afternoon while he chews coca leaves by his home’s entrance in Nueva Esperanza, which is the house of the eldest of his six children: a wooden structure with a tin roof from which the ocean can be seen afar.

For as long as he can remember, Guillermo has chewed coca leaves almost every day. It’s one of his habits. He used to chew coca when he was young, while taming bulls in Ayacucho Region’s highlands. And he also consumed coca during his twenties, working in Southern Lima’s mines, where he left coca leaves as an offering to the spirits that dwelled underground. And he chewed coca when he was lieutenant governor in Mayo Luren, his hometown, which was then a battlefield between the Shining Path and the Sinchis, an elite police force. “Coca is life,” he says, “and it provides you strength.”

Even during the pandemic lockdown, Guillermo has continued chewing on his favorite green leaves, but he no longer goes down to the San Francisco market to buy these, as he used to do. Because he’s afraid of contracting COVID-19, he also stopped meeting other elderly friends from his neighborhood to talk and drink. “But he wants his sweet coca,” says Hipolito (67), his eldest son, who provides Guillermo a quarter of a kilo every couple of weeks.

Hipolito says his father has become softer over the years: he laughs more and rarely gets upset. He is in good shape, although he sometimes forgets things and has trouble hearing. That’s why he speaks loudly. When the pandemic started, his father had a hard time understanding why he couldn’t leave home. “He did not believe in lockdown,” Hipolito says, “and said that curfew was only at night” as it was during the 1980s, the most difficult years of terrorism in Peru.

Guillermo remembers when Shining Path terrorists came to his town and started killing local leaders and Quechua-speaking farmers like him. They usually used knives or machetes to save bullets that could be used against the police. “We were easy to kill,” he recalls, “because they didn’t waste bullets on us.”

One day, the Sinchis summoned Guillermo to the main square. There, he saw dozens of manhandled and beaten townspeople. “Which ones are terrorists?”, they asked, ready to execute whoever he identified. Guillermo was moved by the sight of a moribund young man. And decided to act as if he were an important military representative and ordered the police to free everyone. To his surprise, the police abided. But peace was short-lived. Soon after, Guillermo saw that people were being killed, slit by the throat, and that snipers shot villagers from one mountain to another; houses were looted and cattle massacred. People began to flee as best they could.

Guillermo and Hipolito in front of their house, burning “garbage” after moving earth to expand the land of their house. // Guillermo e hipolito frente a su casa, quemando “basura” luego de estar moviendo tierra para ampliar el terreno de su casa.

Hipolito, his son, left for Lima first. Guillermo stayed to finish his term as lieutenant governor, but when Shining Path terrorists started kidnapping young children and women, he left with her daughter Lucy, then 13 years old, because he was terrified of losing her. He is now one of the thousands of Ayacucho citizens who migrated to Lima’s poor neighborhoods and remember those atrocities. Even today, in old age and amidst the new uncertainties created by the pandemic.

Today, Guillermo and his children live together in Nueva Esperanza, and he’s the only one with a stable income, his small pension. His household’s economy was already hit before the Covid emergency. Hipolito, a welder, has a hernia that doesn’t allow him to work and his repair shop is closed. Lucy, his sister, cannot travel to other regions to sell her woven pieces. Guillermo’s savings and the 760 soles (US$ 202) they received from the state ran out during the first weeks of lockdown.

To do something, Hipolito spends hours leveling the land in front of his house, whenever his body allows him to. “Maybe, I could rent it to a motorcycle cab driver.” Guillermo oversees this work. And sometimes they remember Ayacucho: how they sowed the field with oxen and harvested potatoes and quinoa; enough food for one year. At night, they watch television together. Hipolito puts “El Chavo del Ocho,” a Mexican comedy program from the 1970s, for Guillermo to watch from his bed and hears him laugh until he falls asleep.



72 years old

For the last ten years, Doris Romaní Villanueva has directed one of the 198 soup kitchens in Villa María del Triunfo, but the health crisis forced her to shut the kitchen down for five months to avoid contagion. The measure was a blow for many families. Her only income is now from the pigs, hens and ducks that she raises in a shed. In her spare time, she reads used books she buys in the market. Sometimes she sings songs in Quechua to ease her sadness.

Doris sitting in her room in her room located in the shed where she raises her animals // Doris sentada en su habitacion en su cuarto ubicado en la chancheria donde ella cria a sus animales

She graduated from high school at 38—the accomplishment of a dream she had postponed several times. As a child, she was a good student at the Acobambilla elementary school, in the highlands of the Huancavelica region, until one day a woman arrived to her town and that changed her life. “She was very elegant—she wore a coat and a velveteen hat,” she recalls. “I thought she was the wife of a mining engineer.”

That lady turned out to be her biological mother who had left her when she was a baby under her grandmother’s care. And that day, she took Doris to Pisco to live with her new family. Doris did not want to leave her grandmother, her “only mother,” yet, in the end, they convinced her: she would have a better life on the coast, they said; there, “everything was made of gold.”

Nevertheless, in Pisco, that woman made her work: Doris cleaned the house and took care of her step-siblings. A year later, she fell ill with tuberculosis. And, then, her mother informed her that there was no money for her studies and forced her to sell shrimp sandwiches to truckdrivers on the road to Lima. When Doris turned 16, fed up with the mistreatment, she ran away in the truck of a woman who used to buy her sandwiches. In Lima, Doris started selling milk and cheese. Soon after, she fell in love with a young man and had two children. But her partner was abusive and did not want her to study. It took Doris several years to finally find the courage to leave him.

Once free, Doris worked during the day and studied at night in a public school. When she finished high school, she studied food industries in a technical institute for women. Three years later, she became an intern at Gloria, Peru’s largest company in the milk industry, this time in the southern region of Arequipa. “I enjoyed everything about food processing,” she says, “especially making yogurts and cheese; how to plan and organize.”

When she returned to Lima at age 42, she couldn’t find a job where she could demonstrate her new skills. Employers considered her “too old.” Despite that, she worked in a cafeteria at the Navy, but lost her job during the wave of layoffs caused by the “Fujishock” [a harsh macroeconomic restructuring program applied in the early 1990s]. Doris then decided to raise domestic animals, something that had helped her support her children as a single mother. While looking for land to carry out this activity, she arrived to Nueva Esperanza

Doris’s room located at the back of her pen where she raises her animals // Habitacion de Doris ubicada en la parte trasera de su chancheria donde cria sus animales

She now has a shed where she raises pigs, chickens, and ducks. Next to it, she has built a wooden house with a tin roof, as most homes in this area, without running water nor electricity. Before the pandemic, Doris earned 450 soles (US$119) a month selling her animals to middlemen, and 350 soles more (US$93) selling pound and birthday cakes, or as the main cook for weddings and other celebrations. But these sources of income have disappeared. In addition to pandemic troubles, a disease affected pigs during 2020 and four out of her six piglets died. Yet, Doris spends her time helping families who are in need.

From Monday to Saturday, for the past ten years, Doris has been running a soup kitchen that sells a three-soles menu (less than a dollar) made up of dishes such as rice with lentils + chicken broth. Due to the Covid-19 emergency, the soup kitchen had to shut down for five months to prevent contagion, thus affecting 25 families. During that time, several Nueva Esperanza families raised white flags on their roofs to warn that they were going hungry.

When the soup kitchen finally reopened, the municipality no longer provided donations. Doris had to invest her Covid-19 state bonus to support it. She does not receive a salary for her work (nor is beneficiary of the Pension 65 Program), but at least she has food every day and the satisfaction of helping others.

Whenever she has some free time from her responsibilities at the soup kitchen or raising animals, Doris reads the used books she buys at the market. She enjoys Peruvian history or classics by Jules Verne or Victor Hugo. Sometimes she sings in Quechua, her mother tongue, such as the song that tells the story of a mother with “a heart of stone” who abandoned her child. She learned it from an uncle when she was a little girl and has since sung it with that “elegant woman” in mind. Singing, she says, helps her heal the wound.

Doris takes a break in the popular dining room that she takes care of cooking daily to feed the neighbors // Doris toma un descanso en el comedor popular que ella se encarga en cocinar diariamente para alimentar a los vecinos

A few years ago, she sang that song in Acobambilla, her hometown, along with a cousin who played the guitar. It was the anniversary of the school where she had studied. “When I went to the amphitheater to perform, I saw my name on the marquee and started crying,” Doris recalls. “My daughter had come to see me and said, ‘Mother, I have always admired you, but now I admire you more.’”



66 years old

Last year, during the first year of Covid-19, the amancae flower did not bloom in Nueva Esperanza. It did not rain enough, says Justiniano Malca Martos, who has lived there for the past two decades. Since he and his wife María built a plywood house by the mountain top, Justiniano has enjoyed watching these yellow and pink flowers blossom in the middle of Lima’s gray winter.

Justiniano, his wife and their grandson, watering the small fields in front of their house. // Justiniano, su esposa y su nieto, regando las pequeña chacra que tiene frente a su casa.

The lack of rain, however, also worried them in 2020 because that translated into less water for the staples he grows at his garden: potatoes, goldenberries, bananas, pumpkins, and maize. That is, produce they urgently needed when the pandemic affected their main business: the transportation of people between Manchay and Villa Maria del Triunfo in their red Nissan van; Justiniano drove while Maria collected fares.

Seven years ago, they bought the van after closing their tire repair shop (they couldn’t afford rent). They have already lost count of the number of times they have had to fix their vehicle. The last time was just before the Covid-19 state of emergency started in March 2020. One night, their van broke down on the road and they had to sleep on the seats. They tried to continue their way the next day, but the battery was dead. A few hours later, then President Martin Vizcarra declared a nationwide lockdown. “We only had 50 soles (US$13) in our pockets,” Maria says. “We did not know what to do.”

Therefore, they decided to focus on their garden, but rains did not arrive. They continued irrigating their crops every eight days with water they would buy from the tanker truck, but it proved too expensive (five soles or US$1.30 per cylinder). Then, a fungal plague attacked the potatoes and eliminated all of them. They considered operating the van at half its seating capacity, as authorities required during the early phase of lockdown, but it made no sense: they wouldn’t even cover gasoline costs.

The pandemic stripped away their work and the unpredictable weather imperiled one of their food sources. They withstood the first months of lockdown thanks to a contribution from one of their sons and to the Nueva Esperanza soup kitchen. “Neighbors always help each other,” says Justiniano. “If not, we would be lost.”

Justiniano has hypertension and was hospitalized due to bronchopneumonia a few years ago. Moreover, he hasn’t completely recovered from an accident in 2017 that harmed his intestines: he was under his van repairing a part when the vehicle moved and crushed his abdomen. Although he was affiliated to the Integral Health System (SIS), he was told that his car insurance (SOAT; acronym in Spanish) had to cover his medical fees. Because his SOAT had expired, the couple went into debt for more than 20,000 soles (US$5,305) to pay for two operations. They still had instalments due when the pandemic started. “If we would fall sick with the virus, where could we get money to cure ourselves?”, Justiniano says.

Vicente harvesting in his farm that this year was attacked with a plague that did not allow him to have a good harvest. // Vicente cosechando en su chacra que este año fue atacado con una plaga que no le permitio tener una buena cosecha

He stills needs to undergo another operation but can’t cover the cost of 5,000 (or US$1,326). So, Justiniano simply bears the stomach pains that come every now and then. His recovery is uncertain and his plan to save money to build a brick and cement house, and then set up a clothing store, seems more distant every day. The couple is tired of working on the street.

During the first wave of  Covid-19, Justiniano received two bonuses (380 soles, US$101, each), which provided great relief. They bought rice, beans, some chicken and beef. And avoided leaving home. They would only go twice a week to the market. But money ran out soon. By October, overburdened by debts, they started working with their van again. To reduce contagion risk, they only made one trip a day and with fewer passengers. “We earn less, but we need to protect our health,” Justiniano says. If they used to earn 100 or 120 soles a day (US$ 27 or US$ 32), now they only receive between 30 and 40 soles for a three-hour trip.

When the Covid-19 second wave started in early 2021, they found out that other van drivers had died from the virus. Justiniano says that if they would receive an additional bonus, they would stay at home again, eating rice and beans or lentils. But, this year, his name is not on the list. He hopes that rains will start soon to work the small plot just next to the house he shares with one of his daughters and a small grandson.

“I’m from Cajamarca: we have always grown potatoes there and have brought our customs here,” Justiniano says. He only hopes it rains on the land that will feed him.

La persistencia de los años

Sueños y luchas

Por Marco Garro

Envejecer en los cerros de Nueva Esperanza, al sureste de Lima, nunca ha sido fácil, incluso antes de la llegada de la pandemia de Covid-19. Se trata de un asentamiento humano ubicado en el distrito de Villa María del Triunfo, que nació en un arenal en la década del cincuenta, como una solución al problema de vivienda en los sectores de menos ingresos. Su nombre reflejaba un proyecto: construir un parque industrial en tierras del Estado. Atraídos por ese futuro, cientos de comerciantes, soldadores, carpinteros y artesanos —en su mayoría quechuablantes— empezaron a poblar dicha tierra, con más fuerza, sobre todo, en los años noventa. Esa promesa de progreso, sin embargo, nunca se cumplió para ellos.

Paulina watches the city from her home // Paulina observa desde su casa la ciudad

Largo tiempo ha pasado desde entonces. Hoy, como los más de mil asentamientos humanos que existen en Lima, Nueva Esperanza es, sobre todo, un enorme puñado de casas de triplay y calamina repartidas desde las laderas hasta lo alto de los cerros, conectadas por caminos de tierra y escaleras que los vecinos han construido en comunidad. Aquí no hay red de alcantarillado, el agua llega en camiones cisterna, y los hogares más pobres todavía se alumbran por la noche con la luz de las velas.

Es allí, en esos cerros, donde (sobre) viven varios de los más de 700 mil adultos mayores que viven en pobreza en el país. Peruanos que podrían ser nuestros padres, madres, abuelos, abuelas. Peruanos que contamos dentro de esa “población vulnerable”, porque enfrentan el mayor riesgo de enfermedad y muerte en los días del virus.

Sus vidas reflejan lo que sucede cuando toda la sociedad -Estado, empresas, ciudadanos- no cuida de sus adultos mayores. Hoy, a un año de iniciada la pandemia en Perú y en plena segunda ola de contagios, de los 41 mil adultos mayores que viven en Villa María del Triunfo (donde se ubica Nueva Esperanza), el 60% no recibe una pensión de jubilado y el 31% no tiene acceso a ningún sistema de salud. Para muchos, trabajar años después de la edad de jubilación es normal (40% de la población adulta mayor de Lima todavía trabaja), al igual que aprender a vivir con malestares crónicos, como artritis, hipertensión, asma, diabetes, tuberculosis, entre otras dolencias que no pueden tratar, pues a veces no tienen seguro médico o no pueden caminar hasta una posta o porque solo hablan quechua o viven solos o no tienen dinero para acudir a un médico.

La pandemia de la Covid-19 —su estricta cuarentena; su altísima mortalidad— solo ha vuelto más profundas las grietas de precariedad en la que ya vivían. Eso lo saben bien los adultos mayores de Nueva Esperanza, como Paulina, Vicente, Lucila, Guillermo, Doris y Justiniano, cuyas experiencias durante  la pandemia contaremos a continuación. A diferencia de otros peruanos de sus edades, ellos tuvieron algo de suerte: no padecieron circunstancias de pesadilla, con hospitales desbordados, sobrevivieron. Durante este año, el virus ha matado a 65 mil adultos mayores, según el Sistema Nacional de Defunciones (Sinadef), 70% del total.

Ellos son la “población de riesgo” que se vio obligada a hacer más sacrificios en sus vidas ya difíciles. Algunos no recibieron bonos de ayuda del Gobierno, y el poco dinero que recibían de sus familiares se cortó por el desempleo provocado por la emergencia. Entonces se aferraron a las ollas comunes y a la solidaridad de sus vecinos, y sembraron más papas y hortalizas en sus huertos, y todos los días miraron desde lo alto del cerro, esperando. No la vacuna —que, según el Gobierno, llegará muy pronto para ellos—, sino el día en que podrán salir a hacer su vida —lo que queda de sus vidas— como antes.



67 años

La historia de Paulina es de una partera de la comunidad que salió de Huancavelica acompañando a sus hijos en busca de mejores oportunidades, en Lima. Paulina Peñaloza Campos enfrenta la pandemia y se protege del virus desde el aislamiento con sus hijos y nietos, mientras extraña “ver el mundo de afuera”. Como ha trabajado toda su vida en la chacra y el hogar, no recibe una pensión como cualquier jubilado.

Para protegerse del virus, ella pone unas hojas de eucalipto dentro de su mascarilla antes de salir a la calle. Confía en el poder curativo de las plantas. Si se siente mal, se prepara un mate de eucalipto, como hizo al inicio de la pandemia, cuando comenzó a dolerle el cuerpo y la cabeza. Tal vez por eso, dice, jamás ha tomado pastillas ni ha pisado un hospital y tampoco quiere ir a uno. En su pueblo de Tayacaja, en Huancavelica (“el último rincón de la puna” como ella lo llama), nunca hubo un centro de salud. “Se usaba hierbas para curar todo”, dice.

Paulina waters her small farm in front of her house with a bucket of water. // Paulina riega con un balde con agua su pequeña chacra que tiene frente a su casa.

Como tantos adultos quechuahablantes, siempre desconfió de un sistema de salud casi inexistente en la sierra donde se crió. “De repente me cortan a trozos los médicos”, se ríe Paulina, quien una vez escuchó historias de mujeres indígenas, esterilizadas a la fuerza durante el régimen de Fujimori en los noventas. Tal vez por eso, dice, llegó a ser la partera de su comunidad.

Paulina tiene buena memoria y cuenta con detalle su infancia. Recuerda las papas, los ollucos, la mashua, la coca y la quinua que cultivaban su familia. El agua que bebían de los puquiales, el cielo azulísimo. Pero también se le vienen a la mente las varias “plagas” que azotaron su pueblo. Entre ellas, una enfermedad que provenía de las vacas y que causó la muerte de sus padres, ya ancianos. “Aunque antes las plagas mataban más a los niños”, advierte, “no como este virus que mata a gente como yo”. Varios de sus hermanos murieron antes de que pudiera conocerlos. Ella misma parió 14 hijos: siete sobrevivieron y siete fallecieron por distintos males. “Unos murieron al nacer, otros cuando eran lactantes o cuando ya estaban caminando”, cuenta Paulina. “Así era antes.”

De sus hijos adultos, solo dos hijas viven en Huancavelica. Los demás se fueron a Lima, uno por uno, para trabajar pintando casas. Paulina siempre supo de la profunda necesidad que muchos de sus paisanos pasan en la capital. “¿A qué vas a ir allá si ellos no tienen para comer?”, recuerda haberle dicho preocupada a su hijo mayor, para que se quedara. “Yo lloraba, pero me dijo que era por plata nomás y se fue”. Solo su último hijo pudo convencerla de viajar juntos a Lima. Fue la primera vez que Paulina viajó en auto.Tenía 50 años. En cada curva pensó que moriría. Al final llegó a Lima algo mareada y con dolor de cabeza.

Le tomó un tiempo acostumbrarse a la ciudad. “Todos los días miraba la cantidad de carros. “¿Tantos carros es posible? ¿Qué lugar es este?”, recuerda haber pensado. “Las casas en los cerros parecían huecos, como casas de pájaro”. Hoy comparte una casa prefabricada de madera y techo de calamina junto a dos de sus nietas. Tres de sus hijos, ocupan las viviendas de al lado. Como ha trabajado toda su vida en la chacra y el hogar, Paulina no recibe una pensión como cualquier jubilado. “Mis hijos me ayudan”, dice, “por eso estoy viva”.

Antes de que llegara la pandemia, cada uno solía darle 50 soles a la semana. Con eso Paulina preparaba su propio almuerzo y mantenía cierta independencia. Pero con la cuarentena sus dos hijos y su yerno perdieron sus trabajos como pintores y albañiles y solo pueden darle cada tanto pequeñas propinas.

“Un día llegué a casa y mamá estaba llorando”, cuenta Eugenio, su hijo mayor. A Paulina se le había terminado la comida hace días, pero era demasiado tímida para alertar a su familia. Ahora todos tratan de comprar juntos y compartir los alimentos. Almuerzan sopa de papas y arroz y, cuando se puede, carne y pollo. Sus nietos la visitan para ayudarle con la limpieza y la cocina. Solo a un hijastro de Eugenio le tocó un bono de ayuda de 760 soles. Eso los alivió, pero duró poco.

Paulina, along with the goat that her son gave her after her husband passed away. // Paulina, junto con a la cabra que su hijo le regalo luego que fallecio su esposo.

Ahora Paulina ve a sus hijos y nietos más seguido. Siente que la cuidan y eso la hace sentir bien, aunque extraña ver el mundo de afuera. “Mis hijos no quieren que salga. Ya no se puede reunirse, ni visitar, ni ir a ningún lado. Ni a la iglesia ni al mercado, solo a una tiendita”, reniega. A veces se entretiene dándole de comer a la cabra que le regaló su hijo, luego de que su esposo falleciera hace unos años.

“Yo estaba muy triste y me la trajo bebita. Con biberoncito la he criado”, recuerda Paulina, que no le ha puesto nombre todavía. “Mis hijos traen panca, hojas de choclo, y con eso la doy de comer sentadita. Mientras come de mi mano, recuerdo mi tierra”.



75 años

Tenía siete años cuando su madre, antes de morir, lo dejó bajo la tutela del dueño de un restaurante en Lima. Vicente Vargas Valenzuela aprendió a leer y a escribir tarde, tenía 15 años cuando pisó el colegio. Luego de mucho esfuerzo pudo comprarse un terrenito en Villa María del Triunfo. A pesar de su edad, continúa trabajando porque no tiene seguro ni jubilación. “No puedo ser vago. Se me oxidan los huesos”, dice.

No se acuerda mucho de su infancia. Solo que su padre lo abandonó antes de que naciera y que su madre falleció de una grave enfermedad. “Así me dijeron”, dice Vicente, o Chavito, como lo llaman sus amigos. Porque a pesar de todo lo que ha vivido, todavía conserva la sonrisa traviesa de niño y esa costumbre de encogerse de hombros cuando habla de sí mismo, como si le diera vergüenza.

Vicente loads gallons of water to prepare the feeding of the pigs that he is in charge of // Vicente carga galones de agua para preparar la alimentacion de los chanchos que tiene a su cargo

Vicente Vargas Valenzuela nació en la sierra de Huaral, al norte de Lima. Antes de morir, su madre lo dejó con el dueño de un restaurante en el distrito de Surquillo, en la capital, y nunca más volvió. Vicente tenía siete años y a esa edad empezó a trabajar. Cuenta que era tan chiquito que se le caían los platos y lloraba de pena. Pero el dueño del restaurante no lo regañaba. Más bien, fue su “medio padre, medio jefe”, el señor que le daba techo, comida y propinas por su trabajo.

No fue al colegio hasta los 15 años, aunque solo estudió primero de primaria. Vicente ya sabía leer “un poco”, pero fue detenido por acompañar a un amigo en un robo dentro de su escuela, algo que prefiere no recordar. Solo cuenta que, cuando salió de la comisaría, el colegio le prohibió regresar. “Por la mala influencia, perdí mi chance”, admite Vicente, que intentó empezar de nuevo, esta vez trabajando en la chanchería que su “medio padre, medio jefe” tenía en Nueva Esperanza.

Con el tiempo, el entonces joven Vicente pudo vender unos chanchos y con ese dinero comprar un terreno en aquellos cerros. Más de treinta años han pasado desde entonces. Nunca se casó ni tuvo hijos. “Menos mal, la vida cuesta demasiado”, dice. No tiene pensión, ni cuenta bancaria, ni seguro de salud. Aprendió a vivir con el dolor de una hernia en la ingle. No se atrevió a preguntarle al doctor cuánto costaba la operación que le recomendó. Tampoco se ha tratado las varices en las piernas, que le causan dolor al caminar; ni el mal en sus riñones, pese a que un médico le advirtió que iban a “explotar”.

A pesar de todo, él sigue trabajando. Todos los días ayuda a alimentar los animales en la chanchería de un amigo cerca a su casa en Nueva Esperanza. Cuando llegan los camiones con la basura de los mercados, Vicente separa las verduras en buen estado para cocinarlas y alimentar a los chanchos y las vacas. Así, entre las moscas y el olor penetrante, llena 20 baldes de alimento al día. No gana un sueldo. El dueño de la chanchería paga su comida y le da 20 soles a la semana, como propina. A veces le regala un chancho. Para Vicente eso es mejor que nada. “Tengo que estar haciendo algo”, dice. “No puedo ser vago. Se me oxidan los huesos”.


Vicente, helped kill a pig that will be sold in local markets // Vicente, ayudo a mata un chancho que sera vendido en los mercados locales

Hace unos meses Vicente se enfermó. Dejó de trabajar dos semanas. El estómago y el cuerpo le dolían. Su amigo, el dueño de la chanchería, lo llevó a un hospital y pagó sus medicinas. Tenía una infección gastrointestinal y tuvo que reposar en casa. Sus vecinos lo visitaron, le llevaron sopa. Se recuperó. Luego supo que una vecina estuvo “chismeando” que él estaba “con esa enfermedad”, que no se le acercaran. Vicente sabe que varios fallecieron de coronavirus en las chancherías al otro lado del cerro, pero no conoce alguien cercano que se haya infectado. Ni él ni sus vecinos han dejado de trabajar durante la pandemia.

“¿Por qué tendría miedo de ese virus?”, dice. “Acá todos somos sanos”. No siente temor de infectarse. Lo que le preocupa es otra plaga. Una enfermedad porcina, la peor en varios años y que arrasó apenas hace unos meses las chancherías. Vicente vio morir, uno a uno, los ocho lechones que su única chancha había parido. Él había invertido su bono de ayuda para engordarlos y venderlos a un buen precio en Navidad. En cambio, tuvo que quemarlos en un basural.

Vicente dice sentirse dichoso, al menos no ha perdido su trabajo durante la emergencia. A veces se sienta en la puerta de su casa, a conversar con sus vecinos cuando cae la noche, o baja el cerro a ver un partido de fútbol en la loza deportiva. Las hijas del dueño del restaurante (sus “medias hermanas”) le traen fruta y lo animan a que se vaya a vivir con ellas. Pero Vicente prefiere tener y cuidar lo suyo: su terreno, su casa de triplay, su cama y una cajonera donde guarda la comida de sus chanchos. Además, acaba de adoptar una cachorrita que encontró viva entre un montón de desperdicios. “Yo tengo que estar aquí hasta que me jale diosito”, dice. “Ya cuando él me permite morir, me voy feliz”.



80 años 

Lucila Común Rivas es una sobreviviente: enfermó de polio a finales de los años 50. Antes de la pandemia ayudaba a su hija a vender desayunos, pero el virus alteró todo. Unas semanas antes la excluyeron del programa Pensión 65 porque el Estado ya no consideraba que vivía en un hogar pobre. El motivo: prestaron una conexión eléctrica a un vecino y el recibo de luz se incrementó, dice que por eso la descalificaron. Hoy Lucila enfrenta la pandemia desde las pequeñas habitaciones de su casa, con su hija, sin salir.

Lucila Común Rivas ya ha sobrevivido una epidemia. Ella es parte de los cientos de peruanos que enfermaron de polio antes de que se desarrollara la vacuna, a finales de los años cincuenta. La enfermedad la dejó coja a los nueve años, y durante la mayor parte de su vida ha caminado con un bastón. Nació en una familia campesina en Huancavelica, y desde niña practicó el arte tradicional del hilado y tejido. “Mi madre me enseñó, hacíamos ponchos, telas con dibujitos, cosas así”, recuerda Lucila. “Hilaba y vendía para que de eso se mantenga mi familia”.

Lucina having lunch in her kitchen // Lucina almorzando en su cocina

Su habilidad con los textiles también le ayudó a sostener, ella sola, a sus cinco hijos. Vendía la ropa que confeccionaba o intercambiaba favores con sus vecinos. “Siempre los ayudaba y a cambio de eso, le sembraban su maicito en la chacra”, recuerda Martha, su hija menor, quien se mudó muy joven a esta zona de Lima para trabajar.

Hace una década, en Huancavelica, Lucila se resbaló mientras caminaba bajo la lluvia y ya no pudo andar más. Por no tener DNI, como tantos adultos quechuahablantes en el Perú, no pudo recibir atención médica a través del Sistema Integral de Salud (SIS). Entonces sus hijos la llevaron a Lima, a la casa de Martha en Nueva Esperanza, donde ahora viven juntas y duermen en camas pegadas. “Yo trabajaba para mantenerla a mi mamá nada más”, cuenta Martha, soltera, sin hijos. Ella se encargó de llevar a su madre a un centro particular de terapia física.

Con su ayuda, Lucila también pudo sacar su DNI en 2012, tras varios trámites que llevaron a Martha hasta Huancavelica, para conseguir su partida de nacimiento. Así pudo afiliarla al SIS, algo muy oportuno ya que tiempo después tendría otro accidente: Lucila se cayó de la cama y se fracturó un fémur. El hospital donde se atendió le dio una silla de ruedas y pastillas para el dolor, pero los médicos le dijeron que, por su edad avanzada, no podían hacer más.

Con su DNI, Lucila también pudo ser beneficiaria de Pensión 65 (250 soles bimestrales para adultos mayores pobres), pero solo durante un año y medio. Justo antes de la pandemia, dice, la excluyeron del programa porque el Estado ya no consideraba que vivía en un hogar pobre. Martha había prestado su conexión eléctrica a un vecino y el recibo de luz subió fuertemente, descalificándolas. Por lo mismo, Lucila no ha podido inscribirse en Contigo, un programa social nuevo que destina pensiones a personas discapacitadas que viven en pobreza.

Antes de la pandemia, Martha sostenía el hogar vendiendo desayunos en la avenida al pie del cerro. Por miedo al contagio y a las autoridades, dejó de salir durante la primera cuarentena, y vivió de sus ahorros y el menú de la olla común. Con el bono de 760 soles que recibió pudo resistir hasta el final de la “primera ola”, pero no tuvo capital para su negocio de desayunos. Hoy trabaja limpiando la casa de una pareja en Surco. Gana 240 soles por semana, lo justo para seguir cubriendo los gastos del hogar. Aunque eso signifique ver mucho menos a su madre.

Lucila in front of her house where she has been for the last year without going out due to the pandemic // Lucila frente a su casa donde ha estado el ultimo año sin salir debido a la pandemia

Martha dice que, tal vez por eso, Lucila se ha vuelto “más deprimida”. Un rato está de buen humor, pero “tiene sus arranques” y se queda callada.

En Nueva Esperanza, no hay veredas ni pistas asfaltadas ni rampas para personas con limitaciones físicas. Antes de la emergencia, Lucila (que casi no usa su silla de ruedas) solía ir a la bodega de la esquina, empleando la fuerza de sus brazos para arrastrar su cuerpo hacia adelante. Si tenía que salir más allá de la cuadra, le pedía ayuda a los muchachos del barrio para que la suban a un mototaxi. Pero con la llegada del nuevo coronavirus al Perú, el mundo de Lucila se encogió aún más.

Ya no podía salir a la calle por la cuarentena y el riesgo de contagio. “Se puso triste”, recuerda Martha. Cuando se lo explicó, “hasta lloró porque no entendía”. También dejó de ir al hospital para recibir los medicamentos que calman el dolor de su pierna. Saben que desde hace meses los centros de salud hierven de pacientes covid y temen enfermarse.

Hoy Lucila pasa sus días entre los dos cuartos de la casa y el jardín, donde cocina a leña y alimenta a sus pavos y gallinas ponedoras. Pero si tan solo tuviera un negocio propio, dice Martha, las cosas serían diferentes. Podría comprarle a su madre esas pastillas para fortalecer su memoria y aliviar sus dolores. Sobre todo, pasarían más tiempo juntas, hablando y tejiendo durante horas, como antes.



90 años

El hombre que chaccha y lee su suerte en las hojas de coca se llama Guillermo Urbano Condori, es un sobreviviente de la violencia terrorista en Ayacucho. Llegó a Lima buscando paz y levantó su hogar. Pero la pandemia desplomó la frágil economía familiar. Sus únicos ingresos son los 380 soles al mes que cobra como pensión por su empleo en una mina en la que trabajó hace 60 años. Antes de Covid-19 sus hijos tenían empleos, pero informales, y los han perdido durante esta crisis sanitaria.

Guillermo and Hipolito in front of their house, burning “garbage” after moving earth to expand the land of their house. // Guillermo e hipolito frente a su casa, quemando “basura” luego de estar moviendo tierra para ampliar el terreno de su casa.

Como es tradición en su familia, Guillermo Urbano Condori empieza su día leyendo su fortuna en las hojas de coca que saca de su bolsillo. Las hojas rotas, por ejemplo, son señal de un mal augurio. Las que caen del lado más claro, en cambio, indican buena suerte. “Hoy me va a ir mal”, se lamenta esta tarde de enero, mientras chaccha (mastica) coca en la entrada de la vivienda del mayor de sus seis hijos, en Nueva Esperanza: una casa de madera y calaminas, desde la que se puede ver, a lo lejos, el mar.

Desde que recuerda, Guillermo ha chacchado coca casi todos los días. Es una de las pocas costumbres que tiene. Chacchaba coca cuando, de muchacho, domaba toros en la sierra de Ayacucho. Chacchaba coca cuando, en sus veintes, trabajaba en los socavones de una mina al sur de Lima y no olvidaba dejar algunas hojas como ofrenda a los duendes que viven bajo tierra. Y chacchaba coca en la época cuando fue teniente gobernador de su pueblo, Mayo Luren, que se convirtió en un campo de batalla entre Sendero Luminoso y ese grupo especial de policías llamados sinchis. “La coca es vida”, dice, “te da fuerza”.

Incluso en medio del confinamiento por causa de la pandemia, a Guillermo no le han faltado sus hojas verdes favoritas. Pero ya no baja al mercado San Francisco para comprarlas él mismo, como le gustaba hacer. Por el riesgo de contagiarse de Covid-19, también dejó de reunirse con otros ancianos del barrio para tomar un trago. “Pero sí que quiere su coquita”, dice Hipólito, su hijo mayor, quien le trae un cuarto de kilo cada par de semanas.

Hipólito, de 67 años, dice que su padre se ha endulzado con los años. Se ríe más y se molesta menos. Tiene buena salud aunque a veces se le olvidan las cosas y le cuesta oír y por eso hay que hablarle fuerte. Al inicio de la pandemia, le costó entender por qué no podía salir. “No creía en eso de la cuarentena,” cuenta Hipólito, “me decía que el toque de queda es por la noche”, como lo fue en la época más difícil del terrorismo en los ochenta.

Guillermo observes the city with his son and daughter who have lost their jobs due to the economic paralysis in the pandemic // Guillermo observa la ciudad junto a su hijo e hija que han perdido sus trabajos por de la paralizacion economica a causa de la pandemia

Guillermo recuerda cuando los senderistas llegaron a su pueblo. Mataban dirigentes y campesinos quechuahablantes como él. Casi siempre lo hacían con cuchillos o machetes, así ahorraban balas para luego usarlas contra los policías. “Los campesinos éramos fáciles de matar”, cuenta, “no necesitaban gastar bala”.

Un día los sinchis convocaron a la plaza principal a Guillermo. Vio a decenas de paisanos maniatados y golpeados. “¿Cuáles son los terrucos?”, le preguntaron, listos para ejecutar a quienes identificara. Guillermo se conmovió viendo un joven casi moribundo. Entonces fingió ser un militar importante, y ordenó a los policías liberar a todos. Le hicieron caso. Pero la paz duró poco. Guillermo vio personas degolladas, francotiradores que mataban campesinos de un cerro a otro, casas saqueadas y masacres de ganado. Los pobladores empezaron a huir como podían.

Hipólito, su hijo, partió a Lima primero. Guillermo se quedó a terminar su mandato como teniente gobernador. Pero cuando los senderistas empezaron a secuestrar a niñas y mujeres, se fue con su hija Lucy, que tenía 13 años, aterrorizado por perderla. Ahora es uno de miles de ayacuchanos que, por esos días, migraron a los barrios populares de la capital, y que mantienen viva la memoria de esas atrocidades. Incluso ahora, en su vejez, en medio de las nuevas incertidumbres de la pandemia.

Hoy Guillermo y sus hijos viven juntos, en Nueva Esperanza, aunque solo él tiene un ingreso estable: 380 soles al mes como pensión por su trabajo en una mina hace 60 años. La economía del hogar ya estaba golpeada desde antes de la emergencia. Hipólito, soldador, tiene una hernia que no le permite trabajar. El taller mecánico de su hijo cerró. Lucy, su hermana, no puede viajar a provincia para vender sus tejidos. Los ahorros que tenían y los 760 soles que recibieron del Estado se acabaron en las primeras semanas del confinamiento.

Para no quedarse de brazos cruzados, Hipólito pasa horas aplanando el terreno frente a su casa, cuando su pierna lo deja. “Quizás lo puedo alquilar, no sé, a un mototaxista”. Guillermo supervisa la obra. A veces recuerdan Ayacucho: cómo sembraban con ayuda de los toros y las cosechas de papa y quinua, abundante comida para un año. En la noche ven juntos la televisión. Hipólito pone el Chavo del Ocho para que Guillermo mire desde su cama, y lo escucha reír hasta quedarse dormido.



72 años

Desde hace diez años, Doris Romaní Villanueva dirige uno de los 198 comedores populares que hay en Villa María del Triunfo, pero la emergencia sanitaria obligó a todos a cerrar el comedor durante cinco meses para evitar los contagios. La medida golpeó a muchas familias. Sus únicos ingresos provienen ahora de los cerdos, gallinas y patos que cría en un galpón. En sus ratos libres lee libros usados que compra en el mercado. A veces canta canciones en quechua para sanar la tristeza.

Doris takes a break in the popular dining room that she takes care of cooking daily to feed the neighbors // Doris toma un descanso en el comedor popular que ella se encarga en cocinar diariamente para alimentar a los vecinos

Ella terminó la secundaria a los 38 años. Fue la culminación de un sueño postergado varias veces. De niña era buena alumna en la primaria de Acobambilla, en la sierra de Huancavelica, hasta que un día llegó al pueblo una mujer que cambiaría su vida. “Era muy elegante, llevaba un abrigo y un sombrero de pana”, recuerda. “Pensé que era la esposa de un ingeniero de la mina”.

Esa mujer resultó ser su madre biológica, que la había dejado a cargo de su abuela siendo una bebé, y ese día iba a llevársela a vivir a Pisco, con su nueva familia. Doris no quería dejar a su abuela, su “única mamá”, pero al final la convencieron: tendría una vida mejor en la costa, le dijeron, allá “todo era de oro”.

Pero en Pisco, aquella señora la hizo trabajar: era Doris quien limpiaba la casa y cuidaba a sus hermanastros. Un año después se enfermó de tuberculosis. Luego su madre le informó que no había dinero para que continuara estudiando, y la obligó a vender sánguches de langostino a los camioneros que viajaban por la carretera rumbo a Lima. A los 16 años, harta del maltrato, huyó dentro de un camión con una señora que solía comprarle sánguches. Se fue a trabajar en la venta de leche y quesos. Se enamoró de un muchacho y pronto tuvieron dos niños. El tipo, sin embargo, era un abusivo y no quiso que estudiara. Doris tardó años en encontrar valor para dejarlo.

Libre otra vez, Doris comenzó a trabajar de día y a estudiar de noche en un colegio público. Cuando terminó la secundaria, estudió industrias alimentarias en un instituto técnico para mujeres. Tres años después, consiguió una práctica en la empresa Gloria, de Arequipa. “Me gustaba todo sobre el procesamiento de comida”, recuerda, “cómo hacer yogures, queso, como planificar y organizar”.

Pero al llegar a Lima, ya con 42 años, no pudo encontrar un empleo donde demostrar sus nuevas habilidades. Notaba que los empleadores la consideraban “muy mayor”. Con todo, trabajó en una cafetería de la Marina de Guerra durante ocho años, pero perdió su puesto en una ola de despidos durante el “Fujishock”. Entonces volvió a enfocarse en la crianza de animales, algo que le había ayudado a mantener a sus hijos cuando era madre soltera. Fue así, buscando un terreno para ese fin, que Doris llegó a Nueva Esperanza.

Hoy tiene un galpón donde cría chanchos, gallinas y patos. Al lado tiene su casa de madera y calamina, como la mayoría de viviendas, sin agua potable ni luz eléctrica. Antes de la pandemia, Doris ganaba unos 450 soles al mes vendiendo sus animales a acopiadores, y 350 soles más vendiendo queques y pasteles de cumpleaños, o como cocinera principal en bodas y fiestas grandes. Pero ambos ingresos casi han desaparecido. Además del azote de la pandemia, una enfermedad que se propagó en las chancherías el año pasado mató a cuatro de sus seis lechones. Pese a ello, Doris pasa sus días ayudando a familias más necesitadas que la suya.

Doris sitting in her room in her room located in the shed where she raises her animals // Doris sentada en su habitacion en su cuarto ubicado en la chancheria donde ella cria a sus animales

De lunes a sábado, desde hace diez años, Doris dirige un comedor popular (uno de los 198 que hay en Villa María del Triunfo) que alimenta a 25 familias, a tres soles el menú (arroz con lentejas + sopa de pollo, por ejemplo). Por la emergencia, sin embargo, el comedor tuvo que cerrar durante cinco meses para evitar los contagios. En ese tiempo, algunas familias de Nueva Esperanza izaron banderas blancas en sus techos para alertar que pasaban hambre.

Cuando el comedor pudo abrir, la municipalidad ya no les daba donaciones. Doris tuvo que invertir su bono del Estado para sostenerlo. Ella no recibe un sueldo por su trabajo (tampoco es beneficiaria de Pensión 65), pero al menos así tiene un almuerzo al día y la satisfacción de ayudar.

Doris’s room located at the back of her pen where she raises her animals // Habitacion de Doris ubicada en la parte trasera de su chancheria donde cria sus animales

Si no está ocupada en el comedor o con sus animales, Doris lee los libros usados que compra en el mercado. Le gustan los de historia peruana o los clásicos de Julio Verne y Víctor Hugo. A veces canta canciones en quechua, su lengua materna, como la que cuenta la historia de una madre con “corazón de piedra” que abandonó a su pequeña. La aprendió de un tío cuando era niña, y siempre la cantó pensando en aquella “señora elegante”. Cantar, dice, le ayuda a sanar la herida.

Hace unos años entonó esa canción en Acobambilla, su pueblo. Era el aniversario del colegio donde había estudiado. Un primo suyo la acompañó con la guitarra. “Cuando fui al anfiteatro a presentarme, en la marquesina estaba mi nombre y me puse a llorar,” recuerda Doris. “Mi hija fue a verme. Me dijo: mami yo te admiraba, pero ahora te admiro más”.



66 años

Hace 20 años que Justiniano Malca Martos vive en la parte más alta de Nueva Esperanza, donde extraña la lluvia cada vez que las hermosas flores amarillas de amancaes no florecen. Sin agua tampoco puede cultivar los alimentos en el huerto familiar, su principal fuente de abastecimiento cuando la pandemia los obligó a dejar de trabajar como conductor de un ómnibus de transporte público. Junto a su familia, Justiniano enfrenta “con su chacrita” el embate de la segunda ola.

Justiniano, his wife and their grandson, watering the small fields in front of their house. // Justiniano, su esposa y su nieto, regando las pequeña chacra que tiene frente a su casa.

El año pasado, el primer año del virus, las amancaes no florecieron en Nueva Esperanza. No llovió lo suficiente, dice Justiniano Malca Martos, que lleva dos décadas viviendo allí. Siempre le gustó ver las flores amarillas y rosadas aparecer en medio del invierno gris de Lima, desde que levantó con su esposa María esta casa de triplay en la parte más alta del cerro.

La falta de lluvias, sin embargo, les preocupaba por razones más urgentes durante el 2020. Sin lluvia, cuentan, hubo menos agua para regar las papas, el aguaymanto, los plátanos, las calabazas y el maíz que siempre ha cultivado en su huerto, y que necesitaron con urgencia cuando la pandemia los obligó a dejar su principal fuente de ingresos: una combi Nissan roja que trasladaba pasajeros entre Manchay y Villa María del Triunfo, con Justiniano al volante y María, de cobradora.

Compraron la combi hace siete años, después de cerrar su pequeña vulcanizadora (no podían pagar el alquiler del local), y ya perdieron la cuenta de las veces que han reparado el vehículo. La última fue justo antes del inicio del estado de emergencia, el año pasado. Una noche de marzo la combi se malogró en una trocha y tuvieron que dormir en los asientos. Intentaron seguir al día siguiente, pero la batería se malogró. Horas después el presidente Vizcarra declaraba la cuarentena nacional. “Teníamos solo 50 soles en nuestros bolsillos”, cuenta María. “No sabíamos qué hacer”.

Intentaron, entonces, retomar la huerta. Pero las lluvias no llegaron, y seguir regando los cultivos cada ocho días con agua que compran de las cisternas (a cinco soles el cilindro) salía muy caro. Luego vino la rancha, una plaga de hongos que ataca a los cultivos, y se quedaron sin una sola papa. Pensaron operar la combi a la mitad de su capacidad, como exigían las autoridades al inicio de la cuarentena, pero no tenía sentido: lo que ganaran no cubriría ni el costo de la gasolina.

La pandemia les quitaba el trabajo, y el clima impredecible, el sustento de la tierra. Resistieron los primeros meses de cuarentena gracias, en parte, al aporte de uno de sus hijos, y a la olla común que se organizó en Nueva Esperanza. “Siempre entre vecinos nos ayudamos”, dice Justiniano. “Si no, estaríamos en nada”.

Justiniano tiene hipertensión, fue hospitalizado por bronconeumonía hace unos años, y aún no se ha recuperado de un accidente en 2017 que dañó sus intestinos: mientras estaba bajo la combi arreglando una pieza, el vehículo empezó a moverse y aplastó su abdomen. Aunque tenía cobertura del Sistema Integral de Salud (SIS), le dijeron que solo su seguro de accidentes de tránsito (SOAT) podría cubrirlo, pero este ya había vencido. La pareja se endeudó por más de 20 mil soles para pagar las dos operaciones, y aún tenían cuotas pendientes cuando empezó la pandemia. “Si nos agarra a nosotros el virus, imagínate”, dice Justiniano, “¿de dónde sacaremos plata para curarnos?”.

Todavía le hace falta una operación, pero no tiene los cinco mil soles para pagarla. Por eso Justiniano aguanta los dolores de barriga que le vienen de vez en cuando. Su recuperación es pura incertidumbre y su plan de ahorrar para construirse una casa de ladrillo y cemento, para montar allí una tienda de venta de buzos, cada día se ve más lejano. La pareja está cansada de trabajar en la calle.

Vicente harvesting in his farm that this year was attacked with a plague that did not allow him to have a good harvest. // Vicente cosechando en su chacra que este año fue atacado con una plaga que no le permitio tener una buena cosecha

Cuando Justiniano recibió dos bonos (de 380 soles cada uno) durante la primera ola, fue un gran alivio. Compraron arroz, menestras, algo de pollo y carne. Evitaron salir a toda costa. Solo uno de los dos iba una vez por semana al mercado. Pero el dinero se acabó pronto. En octubre, preocupados por sus deudas, volvieron a sacar la combi. Para reducir los riesgos de contagio, hicieron solo un recorrido al día en vez de tres, y con menos gente. “Eso implica menos ingresos, pero hay que proteger la salud”, dice Justiniano. Si antes ganaban 100 o 120 soles por día, ahora solo unos 30 o 40 soles por una vuelta de tres horas.

Cuando este año inició la “segunda ola” de la pandemia, se enteraron de otros choferes que habían fallecido por el virus. Justiniano dice que, si recibieran otro bono más, se quedarían en casa de nuevo, comiendo arroz y menestras. Pero esta vez, su nombre no está en la lista. Desearía que las lluvias volvieran pronto y dedicarse a “la chacrita”, en la casa que comparte con una de sus hijas y su nieto pequeño.

“Soy de Cajamarca, siempre hemos sembrado papa allá y hemos traído la costumbre aquí”, dice Justiniano. Solo espera que la lluvia siga mojando la tierra que le da de comer.

Marco Garro is a Peruvian photographer. This project on aging in a poor Lima settlement was supported by the Pulitzer Center.

Marco Garro es un fotográfo peruano. Este proyecto sobre la gente mayor en uno de los barrios más pobres de Lima ha sido apoyado por el Pulitzer Center.

Related Articles

Brazil’s Vaccinated Democracy

Brazil’s Vaccinated Democracy

In March 2021, former Brazilian president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, a current presidential candidate, posed a pointed question in a speech lambasting President Jair Bolsonaro’s Covid-19 response. “Where is our beloved Zé Gotinha?” Zé Gotinha is not a respected public health expert or crisis manager

Broken Land: Climate Change and Migration in Guatemala

Broken Land: Climate Change and Migration in Guatemala

Broken LandClimate Change and Migration in Guatemala Santos Istazuy Pérez (right) sits in meditation during a group hike and workshop at a lush farm along with fellow Guatemalans and like-minded people from around the world including Germany and Uruguay. Photo by...

The Gift of Art

The Gift of Art

My dear friend, Colombian pioneer performance artist, Maria Evelia Marmolejo, (Cali, Colombia, 1958) whom I met during the research for the exhibition Radical Women: Latin…

Print Friendly, PDF & Email